Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 03-25-10, 07:47 PM

stratobee is on a distinguished road
Should I get an old 337?

Hi.

New forum member here, veteran lurker. I come bearing questions...

Not rich. Mostly flown Cessna singles. Always fancied a 336/337. Could probably afford an early model, A, B or C with basic avionics. Could hopefully afford upkeep and slight upgrade in avionics as I go along, but don't want to splash for it straight out of the gate.

1. What's the deal with this SID/AD thing in simple terms? Would it affect me as a non-commercial, private owner?

2. Will it mean that the prices of these aircraft is going to come down more?

3. I quite often see early 337's at or below $30K - how bad an idea is this to get? Considering I like to pay as I go and upgrade and don't want to pay for someone else's idea of the perfect avionics package etc, this seems tempting.

4. Can I get long range tanks retrofitted if the aircraft doesn't have it? Are there any of those baggage fuel tanks that transfer fuel to mains available for the Skymaster that you can get for the Cessna singles? If they exist, are they STC'd?

Last question I'm asking because I live in the US at the moment, but as a cinematographer often spend long periods in Europe and would perhaps want to have the plane flown over (not by me until I have my IR and grow a pair) should I have a long stint there so I can do some local touring (I have both JAA and FAA licenses). It'd be nice to have whoever flies it over to be able to do it without ferry tanks, that's why I'm asking.

Thanks.

Last edited by stratobee : 03-25-10 at 08:32 PM.
Unread 03-25-10, 08:23 PM

Roger is an unknown quantity at this point
I think a decent 337 will probably cost at least $60g's, and close to $100g's for a good one. You can of course pay that a couple of ways.
1) $30,000- buy in, then spend $50,000-70,000+/- over the 6-12 months that the plane is being brought up to speed
2) Pay for a good plane in the beginning,and start using it the day you buy it.
Unread 03-25-10, 11:59 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
I would not recommend buying any airplane where you go into it on a tight budget. The Skymaster is a great machine but it has to be kept in shape. I second Roger. Pay up front or pay later, but either way, you're gonna pay. I spend $30 to $35 thousand per year for hanger, insurance, gas, and maintenance to fly my 1973 337G (no-turbo) 100 hours. It has been that way since I bought the plane in 2002. That works out to $300 to $350 an hour, which seems reasonable to me to have my own beautiful Skymaster waiting for me whenever I want it. Unless you have access to free or very reduced labor costs, I really do not see how these planes could be operated for less.

Good Luck!

Ed
Unread 03-26-10, 02:47 AM

Thanks for the info.

$30K a year is a little bit steeper than I'd hoped for, but something I could afford. Do other forum members have roughly the same figures?
Unread 03-26-10, 08:58 AM

Roger is an unknown quantity at this point
I am sorry, but because my wife also reads this site, I refuse to admit how much it costs to operate my aircraft
Unread 03-26-10, 09:56 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Tanks

You don't need long range tanks to go to Europe. The longest distance, via the northern route, is a little over 600 miles. However, pay attention to the note that says insulate the breather tube. It would be easy to speculate that uninsulated breather tube brought down the plane that is sitting in the bottom of the ocean.

If you want to go the route of St.Johns to the Azores, you need a ferry tank, in the cabin. You also need an HF radio. Most ferry pilots will take the northern route.

You can probably buy an aircraft for 30K, and then spend 60K on engines, and 20K on props, pretty easily. Most of the lower priced airplanes have high time engines.
Avionics can easily run another 60K. If you want a new paint job and interior, check with Herb on that cost, but it isn't cheap.

I would suggest that you search for an airplane that has mid-time engines. Have a thorough pre-buy done on it. Look at your wallet, because you can plan on 7K for insurance the first year, provided they will write it. I think an IR would be required by most companies these days. Fuel burn, for normally aspirated, will run 22GPH. An inexpensive annual will be 3K. I had an annual that cost me 12K.

The costs add up, and in a hurry.

Last edited by WebMaster : 03-26-10 at 10:30 AM.
Unread 03-26-10, 10:04 AM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
Hahahaha....Roger, you are a funny, funny guy. I'm laughing so hard, my sides hurt. )
Unread 03-26-10, 10:34 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Insurance

I remember reading that while most US insurance companies write polices for 1MM liability, in Europe, it is required that you have 2MM liability.

The SIDS, by and large, are just things that should be paid extra attention to during the annual. The wing pull shouldn't affect part 91 operators of US registered aircraft. There are some who think that insurance companies will require SID compliance. If the crash in New Jersey taught us anything, it is that the wing pull is not necessary. The wing to fuselage junction, as well as the strut, remained pretty much intact, even though the wing had failed.
Unread 03-27-10, 01:43 AM

I still want one

I've had my eyes open for a 336 as I thought that would be a nice entry, but they're far and few between, unfortunately. Someone said they have this SID even worse somehow and need a more thorough examination. Is this true?
Unread 03-27-10, 06:47 AM
Ace of the Atmosphere

skymstr02 is an unknown quantity at this point
The entire production run of 336's was something like 192 units, so they will be rarer to find than a 1965-1967 vintage 337.
The handling characteristics are different on the 336 vs the 337. The angle of incidence is different and the front cowling shape is different, so your sight picture is going to be different.
Unread 03-27-10, 08:39 AM

jchronic is on a distinguished road
I'll second that. We fly a 336 on our marine survey, occasionally interspersed with a 337. The sight picture difference is striking, especially at the speeds we use on the survey tracks. 100 knots is the target ground (or over-the-water) speed; to maintain that going downwind, the nose is honked up to where you can barely see over it.

Back to the question at hand: the 336 is the perfect airplane for low, slow survey work or sightseeing, but if I wanted an airplane to actually go somewhere, I'd get a 337.

Ahab
Unread 03-27-10, 12:06 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Something to keep in mind when searching for the right aircraft. The bargains out there are only going to help with the initial burden. There are Skymasters out there for lower prices and there is a reason for that. You have to be really careful with this category of aircraft. It's not like fixing up a 172 or Cherokee. This is a complex, twin engine aircraft. So that said beware of the fixer uppers. They will eat you alive in repairs and maintenance. Take your time in this kind of a decision and if you can't afford the one you want (or need) save your money over time to purchase the right aircraft. They will be out there when you are ready. With the economy, today is a buyers market. Someone that invested $50K in avionics 24 months ago is only going to make $20-30K back (if that) depending on the package that was installed. If you go out and have a shop install that package it will cost you at least $50K today. So in today's market you are better to buy an aircraft that has what you want (need) on it already than to upgrade it yourself.

The only difference in the scenario above would be if you had some source available to save a lot of money by buying a fixer upper. Like if you were an A&P you could save some serious money doing it yourself. Now you have to have the time (time is money) and the patience to perform all the work. Again, this is not a 172 project. The other issue I see to buying a fixer upper is the condition of the aircraft. There is a reason that the airplane is selling so low. The worst and hardest condition on a complex aircraft like a Skymaster is non-use, non-hangered, poor and neglected maintenance. Those are the conditions that will eat you alive.

Just my thoughts

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 03-27-10, 09:01 PM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point
Stop dreaming and start flying. So my answer is yes....get an older Skymaster and start flying now.
Unread 03-28-10, 12:30 AM
Tony

I'll also recommend spending the extra money up front. I just went through this process. After I purchased my Skymaster I had over 300 hrs. of labor invested into it. Then add in the cost of boost pumps, fuel quantity transmitters, fuel cap upgrades, alternator repair, magneto inspections, engine hoses, hydraulic hoses, seat belts, the list can go on and on, it can get very expensive.

Then, chances are these also need to be done. Interior, say 3000.00-4000.00, paint 12000-15000, engines approx. 30000-35000 ea., props, if they can be overhauled, around 2200 ea., avionics limitless. These are all ballpark figures, but I think they are reasonable.

Add these up and it easy to see your better off to buy one that's turn key.
Unread 03-28-10, 12:38 AM
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post

Then, chances are these also need to be done. Interior, say 3000.00-4000.00, paint 12000-15000, engines approx. 30000-35000 ea., props, if they can be overhauled, around 2200 ea., avionics limitless. These are all ballpark figures, but I think they are reasonable.

Add these up and it easy to see your better off to buy one that's turn key.
...not including the paint, these are approx. on parts only, not installation.