Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 08-14-08, 01:30 PM

gkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Garmin Antenna placement

I have a Garmin 396 with Wx. I thought I was being smart by buying an antenna farm. Not satisfied at all. Besides the fact that it totally obscures my far left windscreen, the antenna seems to ONLY pick up signals when I am flying North or West. Guess 'm not going to fly East or South then...

Anyway, I'm back with the good 'ol Steering column mounting (from Garmin) and using the Garmin window suction cup plates.

Here is my question: Where do you place your (1) antenna and (2) Wx antenna? I am thinking of placing the antenna in the windscreen, front and centre down below, and the Wx antenna off to the far left or right side on the glareshield, as far forward as it will go.
Unread 08-14-08, 02:01 PM

Pete Somers is an unknown quantity at this point
Jakes
Why don't you go the hole hog and fit an external antenna, as this the only way you are going to pick up a proper signal and fitting the antenna is easy on the 337 as the the roof is to get at, route the cable down the center pillar or down the windshield side pillars, and you will find that it will work, same with your Wx antenna

Pete
Unread 08-14-08, 04:44 PM

Thanks Pete, I was thinking about that too - should have said that in my initial post. I am saving up for changing out my centre panel to Garmin 530W, SL30, new audio panel etc, and that is when the new Garmin antenna(s) will be installed on the roof.

I thought of keeping the 396 as a mobile unit (as I have a few planes) so that I can swap it to whichever plane I fly.

So this brings up an interesting question (to me): If I install an antenna on the roof, can I install it so that I can use it on the 396 initially, and then later on use it for the 530?

Did you also mention that the Wx antenna can be mounted on the roof (i.e. outside)?
Unread 08-14-08, 07:31 PM

JeffAxel is an unknown quantity at this point
Jake,
I put my GPS antenna on the glareshield as far forward as I can get it, and the XM antenna is suction cupped to the very top of the windshield. This seems to work ok for me. Permanent mounting would be nice, but very expensive in a Pressurized 337. Not as big an expense in a non-pressurized plane though.
Unread 08-14-08, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAxel View Post
...and the XM antenna is suction cupped to the very top of the windshield.
Hmmm, never thought of that. Maybe one of the G-Force platforms (the one the XM Wx is currently mounted on) may come to goood use afterall...

So where or how did you route the wires? I absolutely detest spaghetti in a plane, so I know I will have to make a plan with that so that the wires are very neatly tucked away.

I am gonig to see if the second G-Force platform will be able to mount my DVD camcoder on too.
Unread 08-15-08, 03:07 PM

JeffAxel is an unknown quantity at this point
Jakes,
I just tucked the wires behind all the plastic trim on the windshield posts, and ran it down to behind the panel, then over to the pilot's yoke. The XM weather receiver is in a pocket near the copilots feet, power for the computer and the XM receiver comes from the cigar lighter under the co-pilot's yoke. All of it is tied up nicely, and the only wiring you see is the bundle coming from under the panel to the pilot's control wheel. I use a Sony UX280P touch screen computer as a display, it is the same size as a Garmin x96 essentially. I am a happy AnywhereWX XP user. Come on down to KHIO, I will show you!!