Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 06-20-23, 11:53 AM

Galvine is on a distinguished road
Hello
I currently have a P337 under contract.
I have talked to Garmin and STEC and both have no plans to certify a new digital autopilot at this time.

I will be happy to add my name to the list and pay the $5,000 deposit to hopefully get one approved.

I have flown with several autopilot’s. After flying behind the Garmin GFC 600 AP, I’m totally convinced it makes flying safer.
The “envelope protection, (over bank, Level button) are real safety features.

Let me know how I can help make this a reality for the fleet.
Maybe it’s too late and no other paths forward ?

Thx

Greg
Unread 06-20-23, 07:39 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Getting a new AP system approved for the 336/337 fleet is unlikely to occur, as much as we wish it were otherwise. Note I didn't say impossible, I said unlikely!

A stoic view of the situation would be that there are APs out there that will work (400, 400A, 400B, Multiple S-Tec (Genesys) models), but they are analog, old (400-series), expensive (STEC), and some unsupported. That is the reality.

FAA regs may soon change to allow experimental avionics in certified part 91 aircraft not used for passenger charter operations (135). The debate is already well underway. If they do, a whole new world of AP possibilities will open up. Garmin sells the components of the 3100 to the experimental market already. Here, take a look: https://sarasotaavionics.com/categor...tal-autopilots

Avionic shops would most likely love to see this change to the regs as it would open up a new market for their install services. They may not make as much on the experimental avionics, but the install rate per hour will be the exact same!

So it doesn't look great right now, but there could be a bright future. We shall see. Sometimes it truly is darkest just before the dawn...

Last edited by mshac : 06-20-23 at 07:53 PM.