Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 01-05-08, 09:53 PM

cessna02337 is an unknown quantity at this point
Landing Gear Handle Will Not Come Down....

Well, being new to the O2/337 community, I thought I would tell the group about a problem I encountered, hoping others may learn from my event.

I noticed my gear handle would not automatically move to the neutral position after gear retraction (I assume the gear system is the same on both O2s and 337s). My short-term fix was to manually move it to the neutral position shortly after takeoff. It was on my short list to get adjusted/looked at. No other issues or problems would be observed with the system (gear retracted/extended fine, doors closed, proper lights, etc).

Well, today I went to move the gear handle to the neutral position shortly after takeoff and it would not move. I tried everything and it still would not move. I scanned the emergency checklists and there seems to be no checklist item for this failure.

After careful review, if the gear handle does not move to the down position, pumping the manual extension, pulling breakers; cycling the battery (or anything else you could think of); is not going to do anything as the manual extension is not going to work without the gear handle in the down position.

After a quick call to an O2 expert thanks to SWF Tower, I was given good guidance to remove the vent duct on the lower left side to gain better access to the underside of the instrument panel. I pushed and pulled on a the 1/4 medal tube/cable behind the panel (close to the gear handle) to free the handle (a combination of pushing up seemed to make it finally free). This sounds quick but took me close to 30+ minutes of trying, lucky it was a nice VFR day.

Gear came down with normal indications and I elected to fly with it down to home base and wait further maintenance discovery.

I have come as close as one could get from a gear-up landing....too close for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1967_o2s.jpg (96.8 KB, 1200 views)

Last edited by WebMaster : 01-06-08 at 07:07 AM.
Unread 01-05-08, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks so much for sharing this with us, so others don't delay fixing it if the lever fails to go to the neutral position.

For you and others who are new to our site, please reduce pictures to 800 pixels maximum per side. This will not only save on the storage capacity we pay for, but will make your message and picture much easier to read. Microsoft Paint (in Accesories) does this easily -- click Image, Attributes to get current size in pixels, calculate what percentage reduction you need to get the longest dimension down to 800 pixels, then click Image, Resize/Skew and apply the calculated percentage.

Ernie
Unread 01-06-08, 07:08 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Good job.
Beautiful airplane, as well. I resized it for you.