Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 04-21-09, 10:05 AM

ipasgas1 is on a distinguished road
Stol

I currently fly a NA337G that has the STOL kit (Robertson, I think) but am looking at one without a STOL. Looking at past threads, it seems people are happy with their STOL kits but perhaps they are not work the added expense to add them versus the VG installations. I see the VG kit is around $1800 which is much less than the STOL kits. Does anyone have just the VG kit and not the STOL as well? Will the VG give about the same resultant decrease in stall as a STOL? Though we have a STOL on ours, nobody seems to fly STOL numbers, we still fly POH so the STOL is really just an insurance policy which is what I would consider the VG kit if it is as effective. Also, I have been told that a negative with the STOL kit is that if you get into turbulance, the STOL can cause damage to your wing and aircraft which the VG kit, I assume, would not. Would most of you recommend a VG installation versus the expense of a STOL if my primary mission is non STOL but just wanting the added cushion or do you feel the stock wing is good enough?
Thanks,
Dan
Unread 04-21-09, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
I think it depends on your type of flying. If you're highly unlikely to ever need to fly into very short fields, I'd save the money. I think the stock wing is fine, the total design very forgiving and the 60 knot stall speed in landing configuration low enough (and conservative, because I've had no trouble during tests at altitude running at 55 knots). But, hey, I'm biased, since the shortest field I land on is 3200 ft long and if I have to go into one that is too short for my stock setup, I'll land in a nearby airport with a longer runway, and take a taxi (paid for with the interest I earned on the money saved by not going STOL). FWIW.

Ernie
Unread 04-21-09, 01:33 PM

rick bell is an unknown quantity at this point
for years i operated out of a 1600' dirt strip, obstruction at both ends and a 40' elevation drop.
for several year i did it with a stock wing which give you absolutely no margin, not comfortable.
with american ent. stol kit installed it was much easier with no stress as you need to make the
decision to go around way before short final. with power lines at one end and trees at the other you do not have any time to go around after your are committed to land in the flair, as
by the time your spool up the fat pig you will be mowing the trees. landing over 2400' no need for a stol kit