Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-25-02, 06:34 PM

Wayne Pearce is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Blue Glue

And I thought I was the only one to have this happen...
My leak was left side with fuel running down side of fuse.....spose given dihedrel slope and lay of the land any excess fluid inside the wing will end up against the side bulkhead......The interesting thing was that you could'nt clearly identify where the leak was until we took off the top wing panel (prior to that I had all sorts of theories as to where the leak was) GMas was good help there.
Anyway the leak turned out to be a broken weld on a weld on socket on the middle face of the inboard tank ie. next to the boom. I said broken weld not cracked because the position of the socket makes it difficult when refitting the tank ie. use care.
Now bear (bare) in mind that all tanks were removed and refurbished only 6 months prior to the leak so obviously damaged when reinstalled.......anyway my theory is that if the interconnecting hose or socket rubs against anything it will fatigue the metal until it fails along with all the other possible causes......
Oh I have used a water based degreaser to remove any signs of fuel or grease non toxic does'nt weaken paint surface etc it is called Tri-Nature Optimate dunno wether you can get it over there.

As I said really peeved me cause I thought I had the only plane that leaked

Regards ......Wayne