Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 10-29-03, 07:22 AM

Ken MacLean is an unknown quantity at this point
Helmets

Has anybody ever considered flying with a helmet? The military wears them, civilian medevac wears them, airshow pilots wear them. Why doesn't GA?

My kids always wore helmets on their bikes, on roller blades, and on skate boards. Skiers wear helmets now too.

A very cursory review of NTSB accident records reveals quite a number of fatal GA accidents where cause of death was blunt trauma to the head where the circumstances seem to indicate that otherwise the accident would have been survivable. I am personally acquainted with an accident where death was caused by drowning subsequent to loss of consciousness due to striking the cabin interior in a water landing after power loss.

OK, that's the argument "for". The argument "against" would be the potential mocking I would suffer, or maybe frightening the passengers by seeming to prepare for a crash in advance. Or maybe everybody would just think it was a great idea. I don't know.

Does anybody have experience with flight helmets? Motorcycle guys tell me the lighter the better or breaking your neck on impact becomes an issue. What's your opinion?

Ken
Unread 10-29-03, 07:46 AM

Ed Coffman is an unknown quantity at this point
Ken,

They are uncomfortable, heavy, limit your vision, and hot. I am sure a lot of automobile injurys could be avoided if all drivers wore helmets. I believe your money is better spent on good seat belt and shoulder harnesses (BAS comes to mind). However, Flight Suits, Inc. sells helmets as well as nomex flight suits and gloves. They also have a custom helmet painter. You can put skulls or flames , ect on the skid lid.

Ed
________
Medical marijuana news

Last edited by Ed Coffman : 02-18-11 at 09:02 AM.
Unread 10-31-03, 08:33 AM

OSCARDEUCE is an unknown quantity at this point
Not all air medivacs wear hlmets, The one I work for does not. I usually fly with my helmet on, Yes is is a litte hotter, a bit heavy, but mine does not restrict my vision. It is a military standard. There are added benefits with the visor too. If you strike a bird, you have a back up wind shield. What is the old saying, an once ofprevention is worth a pound of cure. I agree use the lapbelt/shoulder harness at least a 4 piont if not a 5 point. We had a Steen Skybot biplane in addition to the regular harness 5 piont, there was a secondary lap belt that attached directly to the airframe in cas the seat came loose from its mount.