Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 10-20-03, 08:05 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
bumps in the sky

I was watching a program on Discovery Wings, where a girl is learing to fly, and she was doing steep turns, and flew through her own wake, and felt the bump. I can remember doing that when I was learning to fly, but in all the time I was doing steep turns, when I was learning the skymaster, and learning to fly instruments, I never felt that.

Sunday, went up and did steep turns, holding altitude real well ( +20 -0, very happy abt that) and never felt the bump from crossing my own wake. My GPS showed very nice circles, left and right, but no bump.

I know I put out a bunch of turbulence. One day Jerry DeSantis flew through my wake on take off, and it was no fun to be him at that moment.

So, is the lack of bump because we are moving so much faster than a 172, and therefore make a larger circle? Anyone have a suggestion or thought on this? A standard rate turn, in a 172, or a 337, takes the same amount of time.
Unread 10-21-03, 01:13 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Not sure Larry. I have gone through my wake many times during 30 and 45 degree bank turns in 337s. Your wake sinks a bit, so if you hold your altitude exactly, you might run into less of it. Dunno...

Kevin
Unread 10-21-03, 08:03 AM
Web Master

Really?

I will go out and try it again tomorrow. Maybe I have to lose a little altitude to hit it, or continue beyond 360, to 370, or something like that.
Unread 10-25-03, 04:40 PM

OSCARDEUCE is an unknown quantity at this point
I did a missing man formation in my O2-A for a friend who was a B-17 flight engineer. We had an O2,T-6 and L-17 with a B-17 in the lead. I was 50 feet off the left wing . Let me tell you how much turbulance a B-1 throws off!
Unread 10-25-03, 05:00 PM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
Red face The answer is blowin' in the wind...

Hey Larry,

You were in the Marines, right? Picture this: When you were doing steep turns and failed to fly through your own wake -- which you should have -- did it ever occur to you that there might be some wind blowing? Hhmmm. After all, the 'sky' doesn't remain static.

I'm reminded of a mental picture for Marines from Peter, Paul and Mary: The answer my friend, is blowin' in the wind...

SkyKing
Unread 10-26-03, 09:18 PM
Web Master

good thought

That's a good thought, Sky. Wind.
Uh, on the other thought, I was actually US Army Special Forces. Not marines.

Oh, I have to commend you on your choice of artist. I once owned a sailboat called "PUFF", after their song. Seemed somehow appropriate for a sailboat.

Blowing in the wind seems appropriate for a plane.

I saw them once, several years ago, and remarked, they seemed old. But then, so am I.

Last edited by WebMaster : 10-26-03 at 10:37 PM.
Unread 10-26-03, 09:57 PM
Keven

Too funny on so many levels.

Keven
________
Medical marijuana dispensaries site:.org

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 05:04 PM.
Unread 10-26-03, 10:59 PM
Web Master

Talk about Funny

read this someplace else

Reminds me of when Santa Clause got his annual line check
from the FAA.

The FAA inspector crawls onto Santa's sleigh with a shotgun.

"What are you going to do with that?" inquires St. Nick.

"You're going to lose one on takeoff."
Unread 10-27-03, 02:26 AM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
Wink You're Okay!

Hey Larry,

Sorry for the 'mistaken' identity! Ya know, I have a close, very close association with 'Special Forces'... as I was the National Press Secretary for Col. James 'Bo' Gritz, when he ran for President of the United States of America in 1992. The slogan was, "Gritz for Rights"... Gritz, of course, rhymes with 'Rights' and it was 'Bo', whom you might remember, was the model for the Rambo movie series that starred what's his face.

Anyway, another thought that occurs here is that I spent 25-years in radio broadcast, 'Playin' the Hits', doing my last stint in Seattle at KBSG, 97.3 FM, doing morning drive-time back in 1989 with the 'Oldies'... SO, you're in good company -- OLD!

While I'm not an 'attorney', which means to 'turn and twist', I am a self-learned 'lawyer', much like Thomas Jefferson and other of our founding Fathers and take particular attention to Constitutional matters these days... which of course, the current Administration is completely BASHING. Oh, that's another topic... sorry.

Saw your website and enjoyed the music background... we fly a '77 P-model, which is down right now while we complete installation of an Argus 7000 in the two radio indicator holes to the left of the stack, and an Argus 5000 over on the co-pilot side, together with an RMI adapter for the 7000. Sometime back we posted a preliminary discussion on this and will do the 'finished' pixs as soon as we can get things completed.

Finally, yes, we believe that this website lost its most important member, GMAs, and I truly hope that, pissing matches aside, he will re-adorn this site when time heals everyone up. Like family, we ALL argue now and again... it being VERY healthy to clear the air.

Regards,

SkyKing