Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 10-25-02, 05:28 AM

European Skymasters

Greetings from England

Forgive me if this has already been covered - only just joined this forum.

The price of 337's in Europe is low compared to such things as Senecas - why?

I am told that the German's wont allow them in their airspace any more due to them being too noisy - true or false?

Do other countries penalise them (e.g. higher landing fees) because they are noisy?

Can they be silenced?

Do the rear engines really suffer so badly from poor cooling that they only run <1000 hrs before overhaul?

Are there any Europe-based owners on this forum?

What is the short/grass field performance like? Is the 337 gear up to grass field operation?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but I expect you will have (biased??) opinions :-)

And completely off-topic - if your government persists in refusing visas to UK pilots who want to fly/study in the USA, they will kill off a good chunk of your GA industry - just my opinion :-)

Wishing you Safe and Happy Landings

Chris.
Unread 10-25-02, 09:43 AM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Hi Chris, and welcom.....

I can respond to rear engine temp. I have a 77, 337 G normal asp. My JPI, eng. monitor shows that the rear engine cyl temps run about the same as the front temps if not a bit cooler. The front has about 1500 hrs and the rear about 150 hrs on a fact. reman.

I have never had mine on grass and I will be interested in the replys on that. Guy....old72driver....
Unread 10-25-02, 10:04 AM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
Chris

Welcome aboard "Mate". <G>

There are a couple of English Skymasters. The other board (see reference on this board) is run out of england. I know there is one in Germany, couple in Italy and one in Sweden.

Not heard of the noise issue.

Reason for being reaonable priced is explained in archives on both boards. In short, they are not "mocho". Secondly, being CLT you cannot gain multiengine time (side by side) or at least a potential employer considers them a "big single".

They are exceptionally safe. No engine out problems. Most of the heating problems go back to the 336 not the 337. Good short field performance and running off grass strip is no problem. Horton stall kit is prefered.

They should be great for Europe, especially the Turbo'd 337 due to mountains. Single engine service ceiling is around 18k ft for the "p" version.

I am sure someone will pipe up from Europe to answer the other questions.

Again, rummage thru the archives on Peter's board and this board.

cheers

Bob