Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 06-18-05, 08:15 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Warranty Claims

Recently, I replaced the rear engine in my 69 337D. I had it in for the first oil change this past week, and asked my mechanic to look at it for oil leaks. He found one, that he said is from the seal around the shaft that drives the hydraulic pump. I asked him if this was a Continental problem and he was sure it was.

Here's the question. I asked him to call Continental, because he could accurately describe the problem. However, should I have been, or be, the one that calls Continental, because it's my plane?

Who makes the first call?
Oh, and does anyone know what is the process??
Unread 06-18-05, 09:31 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
It depends on where you purchased the engine. If you got it from Airpower, call them and tell them you want to make a claim. They will put you in touch with the Continental rep who covers your area. He will likely call your mechanic. You have to be persistent. At least with the Cont rep that used to do the Northwest (from Alaska, not Loren, he was great), it required a lot of nagging. Follow up with a letter to Customer Service at Continental, and copy the Cont rep, just to document it. If they agree with your mechanic that it is a problem, they will likely pay him to fix it (although it may not be all the hours he would like to charge, you might have to pick up the difference).

All this changes if you bought the engine through your mechanic. In that case, he should talk to Continental and handle all this for you.

If that does not answer all your questions, ask more. I had an entire engine replaced under warranty, I have been through the mill.

Kevin
Unread 06-18-05, 10:12 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
I bought it through airpower, so I'll call them first thing Monday.
Thanks
Unread 06-18-05, 10:35 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
One more note. Contrary to what I have heard some places, I got excellent service from Airpower on the warranty stuff BUT, there is little they can do besides make the connection with the Cont rep for you. Continental must approve the claim. But I did not find it any harder than any other warranty claim I have done on other types of products, and in fact found them to be as helpful as they could be.

I was not as happy with my Continental rep, but I have heard others are better...and I think the NW rep has changed since I had my experience.

Kevin