Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 10-08-06, 08:56 AM

billsheila is an unknown quantity at this point
Considering a 337

Dear current owners:

I am 41 year old pilot with about 400 hours, instrument rated. My typical mission is family trips (4 total) and am considering a 337 or 336 as a possibility for an upgrade from my capable but weight limited single.

With zero exposure to these birds, here is what I am taking from browsing your forum....Pros: two engines, speed, useful load, easy to fly. Cons: expensive to own (while cheap to purchase), some quirks to the design (ie gear, engine heat management), perhaps hard to find "good" service shop due to uniqueness.

I live in MA and presently fly out of Norwood, MA (KOWD).

If any 336/337 pilot would be willing to meet for a coffee and show me their airplane up close, I would be most appreciative. Better yet, if I buy some gas and we could go for a flight, that would be even better!

Oh, any one more question re Insurance. Is there any difference between 336 and 337 due to fixed gear from an insurance perspective...or do they in effect put them all into one basket given the low #of 336's out there?

Thanks
Bill
Unread 10-08-06, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Good summary. It looks like you've been reading the right threads (including "What to look for when buying a Skymaster").

I wouldn't disagree with your summary, but allow me to add a few caveats or clarifications.

Expensive to own. No more than other twins if you buy one that has been properly maintained. Regrettably, some new buyers get beat-up Skymasters that become very expensive to maintain.

Quirky gear. Same as above: no more quirky than other retractable gears if you get one that was properly maintained.

Quirky engine heat management. Can't comment on the 336, but this is not a problem for 337s in the kind of service most pilots will face. It is a consideration, and requires management, when flying out of crowded airports in summer heat. (When I fly out of Nassau, I start the rear engine on the taxiway when I'm second in line for takeoff.)

Other than that, you've got a good picture. I'm no expert on insurance, but I think a 336 will cost less, perhaps significantly less. Come to Miami and we'll go flying.

Ernie
Unread 10-09-06, 04:09 AM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point
Hands down, if you want an airplane that will fly 4 people, with all your bags, and have plenty of gas to get there, or divert for weather: then the Skymaster is the perfect airplane!!!!! Think about it, fly a multi with the easy of a single -- not to mention proficiency requirements mean flying less training flights with a CFI.

Right now I'm even considering selling my non-pressurized and then upgrading to a pressured Skymaster, because they are that good. Maintenance, just make sure you get a good pre-buy inspection; look for things like new fuel/hydraulic lines. And don't worry about overheating, just open the large cowl flaps on the rear engine (I flew into Las Vegas mid day, 105F, and had no overheating problems).

Just know the most common causes of accidents in this airplane: fuel management, taking off with only one engine running, and flying VFR into IMC conditions and then adding icing ontop of it all.

Snrpilot@aol.com
Unread 10-10-06, 10:07 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Bill,
If your travels ever take you to Western Michigan, give us a yell, there are 3 skymaster owners here, and we would be glad to meet with you.
Unread 11-03-06, 05:03 PM

bncme262 is an unknown quantity at this point
also interested in 337/336 & i live near norwood

dear sir saw your ad, i used to own a skymaster and i'm interested in getting another one, i'd actually prefer a 336 due to simplicity. please contact me bncme262@yahoo.com or cell 857 719 3837. tx ben
Unread 11-04-06, 08:34 AM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Jerry De Santis is on a distinguished road

Hello Bill,

Purchasing any twin engine aircraft is in general, costly! On this web site most of us believe the Skymaster for many reasons, is one of the best choices. Since the investment in a twin is high, I suggest you join us in our next fly-in at Port Lucaya near Freeport on Grand Bahama Island. Dates May 16 to18, 2006. Mix with the group and attend the presentations...this will give you a lot of insight on the Skymaster.

You can fly commerical to Freeport or maybe hitch a ride from Florida with a Skymaster driver heading that way.

Read about the flyin on the front page of this web sight and if you choose, start a string to seek a ride from Florida.

Cheers!
Jerry
N34EC
Unread 11-06-06, 12:51 PM

bncme262 is an unknown quantity at this point
dear billsheila: i had my 337 over at mansfield and the mechanics and shop owner on that field: Mansfield air were very helpful, pleasant to work with and fair though maybe not inexpensive. they do encourage you to help work on the plane which i find refreshing and fun. they did the annual and the squawk list was fair. ben bncme262@yahoo.com or cell 857 719 3837, call/contact me
Unread 11-26-06, 02:09 AM

walt is an unknown quantity at this point
I have an updated 336 and would be willing to fly to you and discuss the aircraft and let you fly a few hours

walter simendinger
226 ocean ave
northport n.y.11768
631-757-7567
jaws83@optonline.net
Unread 12-06-06, 03:23 PM

docbob is an unknown quantity at this point
Insurance

Before you get too far down this road you should thoroughly investigate what you are up against in insurance. A couple of Summers ago I let my daughter and son-in-law, both ATP's and airline pilots, have the Skymaster for several months.
Because my daughter has a few hundred hours in my airplane she was no problem

For my son-in-law, however, it was a different story. Despite his ATP, 14,000 hours TT including 2500 hours in a C-210, no violations and 4 stripes on his shoulders in the uniform of a major airline, the insurance company wanted him to have 25 hours dual in the Skymaster from an instructor who had 50 hours of dual given in the Skymaster. Totally ludicrous.

So please avoid disappointment and investigate this.

As an aside, I soloed at KOWD on Jan 22, 1956. But I managed to escape about a year-and-a-half later so can't provide any local knowledge.

Finally, while some aspects of the maintenance of the airplane are difficult it is NOT a "high maintenance" airplane.

Good luck.
Unread 12-10-06, 10:11 PM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Considering a 337

Bill,
Come on up to ASH (Nashua) and I will take you for a spin.
guy, the old 72 driver...