Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 10-03-09, 09:45 PM

ConwayB is an unknown quantity at this point
Q: Who should I get to re-assemble a 337?

G'day everyone,

I am in the market for a 337: non pressurized, non-turbo, earlier than an 'F' (with larger windows). An O-2 would be fine provided it was in the normal category and not warbird category.

One has appeared on the market - a 'B' model ex O-2 but in the 'normal' category - currently disassembled but I am told with all the necessary components minus some of the avionics. The vendor had it as a project but time and money is not in ready supply so it's on the market. It needs two new engines and props (to make it legal for charter operations in Australia).

Here's the advice I seek and any responses/comments are appreciated.

I need to get the aircraft airworthy, in good condition and flying in Australia.

Option 1 - Get the aircraft re-assebled in the US, engines/props replaced, test flown, ferry tanks installed and fly it home.
Pros - parts are cheaper; more expertise readily available; parts more readily available during the re-assembly; cross-Pacific ferry will be an adventure.
Cons - I don't get to oversee it; I have to trust people half a world away to have my best interests at heart; can get expensive to travel to and from Australia and then the ferry will be relatively expensive and risky.

Option 2 - Freight the aircraft to Australia and re-assemble at home.
Pros - easier to oversee; cheaper with regard to travel, etc; safer means of transporting aircraft.
Cons - engines and props are more expensive, parts not readily available nor in-depth expertise in this particular type; lose the chance to say 'I ferried an aircraft over the Pacific"

Option 3 - Continue to search for an aircraft in the US ready to fly and then ferry it.
Pros - no hassle with re-assembly. Aircraft more of a known quantity. Still able to ferry it for the adventure; greater range of good qualty/low TTAF airframes.
Cons - May not get exactly what I want;

Option 4 - Continue to search for a suitable aircraft in Australia.
Pros - already on the registry here; search and engineering checks are cheaper; far less risky in the purchase and no risk in cross ocean ferry.
Cons - not too many low time aircraft here on the market; no adventure of ferry.

So here's the question: What do you guys and girls suggest? What would you do? If I went for option 1, what suggestions do you have regarding the right people to re-assemble, install/replace and get to airworthiness standard.

Also, what prices would you expect to pay for engine/prop replacements with new or FReMan engines so I can compare it to the prices quoted in Australia.

Any and all constructive advice is appreciated.

If you're interested in military and aviation art, visit my website at www.ipas.com.au

Email to my personal email at conway@ipas.com.au or PM me through here.

Thanks in advance and safe flying!

Conway

PS. I'm coming to the States next week for a fortnight but not able to search for aircraft on this trip. Too busy visiting friends, etc. So I will have the opportunity to phone people without the disadvantages of time zone differences.