Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 01-12-16, 12:05 AM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
You're welcome! )

Actually the landing gear has been perfectly dependable and relatively painless. New rotors were pricey a few years back. I have not had any issues with the power-pack so its probably due for an issue. When we first bought the airplane, we replaced every fluid carrying line and that may have included the landing gear but I would have to check on that. All in all though (knocking vigorously on wood) the landing gear has been, relatively low maintenance.
Unread 01-14-16, 11:52 AM

jchronic is on a distinguished road
Followed this thread with much interest and I'll strongly second the replies/opinions on ownership costs (and on the airplane itself) and just add my two-bits. Like most, the airplanes are (still) reliable if properly maintained and, while not outlandish, it isn't cheap to do that - particularly as parts and Skymaster experienced mechs become harder to find. And rehabbing a poorly maintained airplane can run into huge money, even for a buyer willing to get his hands greasy.

When I acquired my 337D for my survey operation, I was in for about $125K counting the airplane, one overhauled engine, various other repairs, and a few mission-unique mods. Early on, I budgeted $90/hour for airplane maintenance (not including engine reserve). Over time and the learning curve I've raised that to $120/hour even though the plane has had most of the bugs worked out and I've had no major problems (as the man said, knock wood!). That budget has worked out pretty closely for an annual and a 100-hour inspection each year, plus fixing the little nit-noid things that inevitably crop up. Probably worth mentioning that the plane is hangared, pre-heated for winter ops, and flies pretty regularly; take away any or all of those factors and you may be asking for more problems.

Re the landing gear, have had no problems other than a couple of broken wires, but I have a super A&P who's anal about the gear (and everything else!). Each inspection (twice a year) the plane is jacked and the gear swung numerous times while he watches each component of it. But I'm familiar with other 337s we used prior to mine and others in the area that have had numerous gear issues. Again, spending some money on continuing maintenance is essential to minimizing bigger problems and expenditures down the road. And power pack overhauls are pretty big $$$.

Joe
Unread 01-15-16, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Let me add my perspective after operating three (3) different Skymasters over the last 17 years. And, as you will see, I approach the issue from a rather different viewpoint.

Before I do that, one quick comment is that the landing gear has never given me a lick of trouble. I changed hoses once when the annual inspection indicated it, and that’s it.

My view on operating costs is that you should separate ownership costs out of the equation. Loan payments, insurance, hangar/tie-down, biennial transponder test, painting the aircraft, replacing windows, replacing the battery and much of the cost of the annual are there whether you operate the aircraft or not. I view these costs as overhead, and they are critical in deciding initially whether I can afford to buy the airplane.

But after I own it, I want to know what it will cost me for each hour of flight. So if I have a trip that can be done by car or airplane, at least I know how to compare costs.

So here are my numbers per hour with some based on 100 flight hrs per year:

Fuel @ $5.50/gal @ 23 gal/hr* -------------------- $126
Engine reserves @ $30K per OH every 1500 hrs ---- 40
$2K Maintenance between annuals ------------------- 20
Annual not including unpaneling -------------- 20
Propeller reserves and miscellaneous ---------------- 10

TOTAL ---------------------------- $216

Ernie Martin

Unread 01-16-16, 09:17 PM

YankeeClipper is on a distinguished road
Ernie, Joe, more great input.

Joe, to clarify, were you saying 120/hr including the annuals?

Ernie, what kind of ship are those numbers for?
Unread 01-17-16, 10:09 AM

jchronic is on a distinguished road
I understand Ernie's point and wouldn't disagree with it; like any cost accounting situation, just a judgment call in allocating costs that makes the most sense in your particular situation. I categorize most of my my 'ownership/overhead' costs the same way he does; I just choose to look at direct maintenance (i.e. major inspections and ongoing maintenance) as an 'operating' cost.

Yes, the $120/hour is predicated on covering the annual and 100-hour inspections, and unexpected maintenance during the year. In fairness (to the airplane), I've beat that each year since I raised it to that figure: $95-100/hour has been closer, although it came pretty close to $120/hr last year (repairs to fuel gauges, cowl flaps, etc.).

BTW, I budget $46/hour for an engine reserve, pretty close Ernie's engine and prop reserves combined.

Joe
Unread 01-17-16, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
All 3 of my Skymasters have been normally aspirated (I am in Miami). First was a 1969 337D, then a 1973 337G and now a 1977 337G.

Ernie