Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 06-27-07, 03:10 PM
Keven

I just finished at 9 hour, 1300 mile trip a couple of weeks ago. I did it in 2 stops, and I was still completely worn out at the end of the day. It may be better in a P337, at least the ones that I've been in, because they are typically quieter. But, still, that was a LONG day.

FWIW

Notwithstanding, it would still be very cool to do.

Keven
________
Anal fucking

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 05:24 PM.
Unread 06-28-07, 02:32 PM

gkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Regarding such a Canada-to-Africa adventure, I was wondering about the possibilities of not only recording it on DVD, but maybe make more of it, such as a series, like Wings Over Canada. What about sponsors, like Shell, insurance companies etc.? For this, one would have to invite a cameraman along, and sacrifice a third pilot in the process...

Not only would the revenue make the whole trip more affordable, but also it would be professionally recorded and produced. It could be used to instill a more adventurous and nostalgic interest in general aviation.

Any ideas? Crazy?
Unread 06-29-07, 02:12 AM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point
I just finished U.S. Navy underwater aircraft egress training. Let me tell you!!!!!!!!! It sucked. I was thinking about flying direct to Keywest, but have no decided it would be better to follow the keys.

Once an aircraft is in the water everything becomes beyond your control. And unless you have a scuba tank, then good luck getting out of the aircraft.
Unread 06-30-07, 12:18 AM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
I hold a different opinion, and not just because most of my flying is over water.

If you do some searching on the Internet, you will find that controlled ditching "is one of the most survivable emergency procedures any pilot can perform" and "overall general aviation ditching survival rate is 90 percent" or roughly comparable to an emergency landing away from an airport; see the full analysis based on eight years of NTSB data at www.equipped.com/ditchingmyths.htm

AOPA Pilot magazine had an article several years ago about a Western Canada outfit that holds ditching courses for GA pilots, including underwater aircraft egress training. I excerpted elements of that and you will find it in my "backup" Skymaster website at www.SkymasterUS.com (click on "Skymaster Ditching: Avoid & Prepare").

Another point is that a controlled ditching typically leaves the aircraft floating for several minutes, with adequate time for exiting. There is often an initial period where the aircraft nose goes underwater, but the aircraft normally pops back out and floats. If you look at WW II footage of aircraft downed by ship anti-aircraft fire, you will see that all of the controlled ditchings result in a floating aircraft. Very heavy seas can, of course, change things, especially if the aircraft flips.

One final point is that you do have two engines, so the likelyhood of ditching is minimal. This assumes a careful pilot who won't suffer fuel starvation.

Ernie
Unread 06-30-07, 06:35 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Good points, Ernie. I remember reading several years ago about a Skymaster that went into the water off Hawaii. It had 6 people on board, and all 6 got out safely. It was a controlled event, both engines had stopped, and the pilot put it down in the water.

I can't imagine how the 5th and 6th people got out, those seats are tight, but they all did.