Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 06-27-02, 07:19 PM
George M. Amthor, Jr.

GMAs is on a distinguished road
Talking whats new.... dept...

what if I told you that you could tell how the engine was runing by a instrument attached to the points on the mag... what if I told you that they were working on a replacement for the magnetic pick up that are hard to get... and what I I told you that they were working on a replacement of the old mags and wires....

Well Ok... guess you know then... sure enough someone came out with a "Ignition analyser" it attaches to the P lead on the mag... and another small coil goes over the No. 1 spark plug wire or into the line where the spark plug fitting goes on top... here they then fire up the engine and can tell exactlly how the thing is runing... can tell if you have a bad injector... one cyc runing hotter... plugs that are not working right.. etc... and they are working on one that will mount in the inst panel... just what you needed is another something to fill up the extra space huh... it is based on the old radial engine system that they came up with on the 4360 series engines... and it supposedly will be better than buttered toast... to go along side the JPI or EGT meters... it has a dataloger also that you can get so you can down load it to your lap top...

Second the company is doing research on getting rid of those nasty spark plug wires... yep they are going to a low voltage system... again this is nothing new.. and was used on the 4360 radials... here they do away with the high voltage being generated at the mag.. and transfered down the line by high tension wire... instead it develops a lower voltage stores it and when the time is right fires it down the low voltage line to the coil that is attached on top of the spark plug... neet huh... don't get too crazy about the low voltage though.. as it is around 200-250 volts from what I read... and it still will zap you.. but, it is supposed to do away with the high alt mis-fires that we experiance right now.. also they are saying that because it is a discharge type system that has its own source... that the sparkplugs will last the life of the engine... hmmmm now I want to see that... they also are doing away with the points and using a solid state device to fire the thing... so no more points and condenser stuff either... along with the removal of the rotor .... they claim safety in the fact that each system is its own... for each cyc... and that instead of just two mags.. you really have 6 backups... Hmmmmmm I think they mean each cyc has its own with the two plugs still ... so that if one fails the others keep going... which would be good...

And lastly but not leastly... is the replacement of the old coils that were in the bottom of the mags for the tach drive... seems they have a fixit for that too... by putting a solid state device in its place... it then will generate pulses as the rotor on the mag goes by.. just like the original... price on that little gem... a whopping 12 bucks...

So where can you get one.. ahhhhh not yet.... they still are doing their thing.. but, they had a huge setback last week when the place of business burned down in the forest fire in Co... they are operating out of the garage right now but, are still forging ahead... will keep you posted on the new systems... GMAs
Unread 06-27-02, 08:53 PM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
GMAS

Check out Ford, Honda and the like. They all have low voltage feeding coils that are located at the plug. Very few ignition wires are used anymore.
Rather doubt this is any form of new technology, just current technology that needs to be applied to a bunch of olde (english) engines that should be pitched!

Re scope,
they could be infringing on snap-on patents. Think they hold patents for the "parade" function scope. Just what we need....

Sounds great (and expensive).

Bob