Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 03-16-05, 08:24 PM

SteveG is an unknown quantity at this point
May Meeting Motivation

Recently returned from a trip to MTH and EYW. Seems I had a similar itinerary to Mr. Schmitz's previously posted travel notes. A few days soaking up sunshine on a white sand beach is good for one's ill temper. Attached are a few photos which I hope may be good advertising for the Key West meeting. One is of Miami Beach, similar to Mr. Martin's scenic recommendation. The sunset and the beach scene are on Vaca Key (Marathon). Fuel at Marathon Jet was $2.67 for self service and parking was $10 per night. An afternoon parked at City Island Flying Service was $16. We flew the east coast of Florida from JAX all the way down. Jacksonville, Daytona, the Space Coast, Fort Lauderdale & Miami and the Keys was well worth the extra miles when the weather is clear. Mr. Martin or others familier with operations around EYW may wish to comment on local procedures for an easterly departure. The only glitch of the trip was departing EYW's rny. 9. EYW's delta airspace abuts the Navy airspace to the east. Inbound everything works smoothly, transitioning thru Navy approach, Navy tower, Key West tower but on departure there is apparently no coordination between the two towers. I was cleared for a VFR rny. 9 departure with a right turn out. About 3 miles south Key West tower hands me off to Navy tower. Calling Navy tower I received a very cold reception with "are you the one already in my airspace?". "Yes sir, I believe we are on the southwestern edge of it." "Well, I show you only three miles southwest." Then with great disgust "cleared on course, frequency change approved." Not wishing to agitate the bear further and not sure if I had actually busted his airspace without a clearance I let it drop but I still don't know what they expect. Are you actually supposed to be talking to both towers simultaneously? Anyway, Key West is fun, Duval Street is a circus, Sombrero Beach on Vaca Key is excellent. Marathon Jet is easy to work with and the scenery along the way is like nowhere else. Don't know if I can do two Keys trips plus SnF and CPA-New Orleans all in a three month period but we'll see. Safe & happy flying to all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image007.jpg (465.1 KB, 982 views)
Unread 03-16-05, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
The views and the trip are everything you said they are. The scenic approach to Miami (part of which is in your picture) is well worth the effort (the route is at www.consultresearch.com/miasce.htm and has an easy graphic).

I'm surprised you had trouble going out of EYW on RWY 9. The EYW tower gives you clear vectoring instructions (typically to make an immediate left or right turn) and the hand-off to the Navy controller has always worked well for me. Paul Rooy flies to EYW more often than me, so maybe we'll hear from him.

Anyhow, I'm glad you enjoyed the trip.

Ernie
Unread 03-16-05, 11:56 PM
Keven

I go there four or five times a year and haven't had an issue -- except a couple of requests for a more expedited rate of climb. Maybe you just ran into a cranky controller after a bad night. Which is a distinct possibility from someone living in KEYW. . . if you're hearing what I'm telling you. However, I always fly IFR due to paranoia -- lawyers are bad that way. Typically a great place to get into and out of with outrageous views for those of us who typically fly over the App mountains and SC flatlands.

Keven
________
BOX VAPORIZER

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 05:10 PM.
Unread 03-17-05, 08:12 AM

Additional photograph:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image013.jpg (391.0 KB, 958 views)
Unread 03-17-05, 08:21 AM

Additional photograph:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image016.jpg (669.6 KB, 954 views)
Unread 03-17-05, 08:26 AM

Additional photograph:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image022.jpg (743.0 KB, 934 views)
Unread 03-17-05, 01:38 PM
Administrator

If any of you have ever wondered why I, living in Miami, go often to the Bahamas, compare the picture below with the picture SteveG just posted above. The beaches in Florida are nice, but they don't compare. This is in Great Harbour Cay, and 16 people going to Key West in May are signed up to go there on this 2-day trip to the Bahamas.

Ernie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ghcb337.jpg (19.9 KB, 906 views)
Unread 03-17-05, 09:13 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Ernie, I will always remember flying over to MYAT from TMB. Clear waters. And then down to Great Harbor, what a place. Kind of like this place, which is another place I'd like to visit. They even have a good bar near the airport.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/785275/M/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/785344/M/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/725947/M/

http://www.sunsetbeachbar.com/
Unread 03-17-05, 11:28 PM
Keven

Larry:

Well, the first 3 doctored shots were nice.

The doctor who did the last shot was kinder to mankind.

Keven
________
Pregnant masturbation

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 05:10 PM.
Unread 03-18-05, 01:41 AM

KyleTownsend is an unknown quantity at this point
Ernie:

My dad and I have always wanted to learn to do "Island Flying." Is this side-trip really suitable for a "first-timer?"
Unread 03-18-05, 08:37 AM

ipasgas1 is on a distinguished road
I have been to the sunset beach bar. I have the same photos as shown of airliners coming right over the beach. These are not doctored. If you go to St. Maarten, you have to go to this beach bar. It is right at the end of the runway. It is pretty awesome. We spent a couple of hours taking pics of the planes coming in prior to our departure. Have the exact same shots, I swear.
Unread 03-18-05, 11:10 AM

Mitch Taylor is an unknown quantity at this point
There are similar photos on this web site, along with a few stories of low approaches there. There are also some "incident" photos that are pretty amazing.

http://www.aviationpics.de/
Unread 03-18-05, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Kyle, the answer is: yes, absolutely. First, the procedures are a snap, simpler than your flight from Tennessee to Key West. Second, it's safe. You're never more than 50 miles from land, you're on a twin, you're over warm waters (not around Iceland, while ferrying an aircraft to Europe) and with minor preparations it becomes super safe. While some concern on your part is understandable, the statistics indicate that controlled ditching is as survivable as an emergence ground landing away from an airport. I'd much rather ditch into warm waters on good weather than do an emergency landing at night or over mountainous terrain.

Go to www.SkymasterUS.com and read the "Bahamian Flight Procedures" page, the "May 2005 SOAPA Bahamas Side-trip" page and the "Ditching: Avoid & Prepare" page. Then decide. Three years ago we held our Skymaster Fly-in and Meeting in Treasure Cay, Bahamas, and several contributors to this Board (including Larry and Keven) went. Perhaps they'll pop in and share their views.

Ernie

Last edited by Ernie Martin : 03-18-05 at 01:12 PM.