Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-03-18, 04:11 PM

CRDedrickson is on a distinguished road
Cargo Pod wanted ASAP; avionics recs too

I just heard from Scott that his pod was sold. I’d like To see about adding one as I’m struggling to put luggage over the rear seats which are stuffed more than stock. Plane is new to me, in my first annual, with paint during annual in Georgia KCTJ.

A new one not cost effective, but for the clone of Scott’s pod, I’d pay the same $3000 he wanted.

I’m not ready for avionics quite yet as I haven’t seen what the options are up close. Any recommendations on that are welcomed, Currently have WAAS 530 and dead MX-20. It seems like a second GPS is in order and while Garmin 750 sounds nice, some tell me there are better options; I’m just unwilling to take only the salesman’s opinion on that.

I’m still using my iPad mini as a back-up too!

Russ Dedrickson
1973 T337G: P337-0056
GO NAVY!
404-550-9544m
706-359-2493h
Unread 10-04-18, 01:18 PM

kilr4d is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDedrickson View Post
I just heard from Scott that his pod was sold. I’d like To see about adding one as I’m struggling to put luggage over the rear seats which are stuffed more than stock. Plane is new to me, in my first annual, with paint during annual in Georgia KCTJ.

A new one not cost effective, but for the clone of Scott’s pod, I’d pay the same $3000 he wanted.
Hi Russ,

I'm moving your thread over here to messages so that you can get a little more visibility.

First of all, congrats on the new plane. POST PICS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDedrickson View Post
I’m not ready for avionics quite yet as I haven’t seen what the options are up close. Any recommendations on that are welcomed, Currently have WAAS 530 and dead MX-20. It seems like a second GPS is in order and while Garmin 750 sounds nice, some tell me there are better options; I’m just unwilling to take only the salesman’s opinion on that.

I’m still using my iPad mini as a back-up too!

Russ Dedrickson
1973 T337G: P337-0056
GO NAVY!
404-550-9544m
706-359-2493h
Personally, I like the stuff the GPS/NAV/COMM units from Avidyne: https://www.avidyne.com/products/ifd/index.html

The IFD540 is a direct slide-in replacement for your GNS530W. You can literally have that thing up and running in 20 minutes and it is (by all accounts) an EXCELLENT unit. Lots of pilots are now saying it's superior to the Garmin GTN for a lot of reasons.

That also includes (for free) Avidyne's tablet app: https://www.avidyne.com/products/ifd/ifd100.html This will turn your existing iPad into a 2nd navigator and remote control for your panel unit.

The upgrade is only $6995: https://avionicssource.com/product/540-upgrade-530w/

The MX20 is obsolete and not worth fixing. What's in the rest of your panel? What autopilot; what radios, HSI, etc?
CNC3
Unread 10-04-18, 09:15 PM

CRDedrickson is on a distinguished road
N8CV has the KI-825 HSI and a Bendix/King 810 Autopilot.
NAV/COM #2 is a King KX-155.
It has a Shadin fuel computer and JP-760 engine monitor (Gami Injectors).

There once was a Ryan 9900BX installed and the wiring is still there, but a previous owner’s wife got tired of looking at the 9900BX and sold it on EBay! I’ve got to learn more about ADS-B and figure out if I should replace the 9900BX and what that would mean for an upgraded panel.

That’s why I’d like to replace the MX-20 with something like the Avidyne you mentioned and keep the 530W, although I suspect installation in a cold slot and being able to access things like the HSI and 9900BX would be complicated if even possible.

There is an ADF and maybe some other boat anchors that should be removed along with the MX-20, but I plan to come up with a plan and do it all at once. That’s why I’m in the research mode now, plus my inexperience (I stopped flying from about 2000 until 2015-2016, spending too much time at work. That dragon is slain as I’m retired now.)

I found some photos, not sure of the XPNDR model, but I’m told it isn’t ADS-B compatible. The cockpit photos are from before the MX-20 went white on me.
I’m not sure how to post them, but I’ll try!

It looks like I might have to reduce the file sizes and do it with a computer, I’m using aniPad now...

Russ
Unread 10-05-18, 11:20 AM

Flyer770 is on a distinguished road
The King HSI and autopilot are good units, I’d keep if they are working fine for you. They are most likely running off the 530W. The 9900BX is pretty old tech and ADS-B can do nearly everything it can, except look for non ADS-B transponders, of which there shouldn’t be many left flying in a year anyways. The Garmin GTX 345 will get you both ADS-B out and in, and it interfaces very nicely with GTN and GNS units, and the Avidyne IFD. Pretty slick to see traffic and weather in the panel of a 172, and even better in a serious IFR Skymaster.
Unread 10-06-18, 02:08 PM

Skywalker is on a distinguished road
Cargo Pod

Hello Russ
i might ask me some one ,i think he poses
pls contact me at skywalkerbellagio@gmail.com
Dennis
Unread 02-16-19, 08:44 AM
bigcheese

n86121 is on a distinguished road
Ryan 9900BX vs ADS-B

Well, ...the 9900BX interrogates 1090 transponders around you, then tracks all the targets. It sees the superset of any and all 1090 transponder equipped aircraft, independently and directly. Its internal software then calls out 'threats.'

For ADS-B to pass you a non-ads-b target, first, ground radar has to see the other guy, and then you have to be within sight of an ADS-B ground station for the other target to be sent up to you.

I fly in the Outerbanks NC periodically, and frankly there are a lot of holes in that theory.

ADS-B WILL pass you another ads-b out equipped aircraft real-time. In that mode it is the logical end-state for transponders that makes a lot more sense than prior tech.

BUT...

True, in theory, by Jan 1 2020 most aircraft are supposed to have ads-b. But interestingly enough, that's impossible. Not enough avionics shops out there to refit the fleet.

Airlines have been given an extension, as the cost in downtime and benefit, especially if already equipped with TCAS, are negligible.

So FAA will face reality check: If aircraft not equipped by ADS-B are not allowed into terminal areas, or anywhere ads-B is required, then GA will stay out, significantly reducing the utility and value of those aircraft, as they can only be flow in the countryside, and never to any city or controlled airspace.

I really like the 9900BX (X means w interrogator) because it sees the superset. You can buy BX units on ebay for about $3500, so if you are already wired up and ready to plug in, that might be a consideration!
Fort Washington, MD 20744

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: