Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 01-29-24, 01:03 AM

CO_Skymaster is on a distinguished road
Flying a civilian Skymaster without prop spinner

Hello,

I suspect flying without my front and rear propeller spinner is not legal on my civilian Skymaster, but mine were removed by an A&P and I may need to take it away from him, but he opened several panels and the propeller spinners. I need to get a ferry permit to do this. Does anyone know if it causes any engine problems with cooling if I fly it to another shop about 1.5 hours away. I know O2s don't have the propeller spinner, but there may be some cooling differences. When I apply for my ferry permit, that would have been one of the limitations I was going to place in it.

Karl
Unread 01-29-24, 07:51 PM

Learjetter is on a distinguished road
Karl,
Sounds like you’ve got a conundrum.

A look at the A6CE type certificate lists prop spinners along with governors and blades. The FAA defines “airworthy” as “conforming to the type certificate AND in a condition for safe operation.”

You may not be able to qualify for a ferry permit if the FSDO determines the type certificate language means spinners must be installed.

Alternatively, they may be swayed by the Mil-version of the type cert as an example of “safe condition to operate.”

Good luck—let us know how it goes!
Unread 01-29-24, 09:05 PM

RandyArizona is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Skymaster View Post
Hello,

but mine were removed by an A&P

Karl
They are still available, I assume, so why not put them back on... ?
Just curious, I have no dog in this fight.
Unread 01-29-24, 11:46 PM

I was planning to put them back on since the current A&P removed them, but I was thinking about a few issues:

1. Was the owner was allowed to remove and install propeller spinners. The A&P opened several maintenance covers, but I believe an owner/operator can open these to inspect without an issue. The propeller spinners where the only item removed that I was unsure about. Would I have to find another A&P to reinstall them and did they require balancing. My thought was they may be like car hubcaps with a lot of screws. Would the FAA allow my ferry permit if I did that.

2. If there were extra steps to install, would it be better to place all the screws in zip lock bag and take the propeller spinner with me to have them install at the new A&P performing the annual. That might have been easier.

Thanks for the advice,

Karl
Unread 01-30-24, 01:52 AM

RandyArizona is on a distinguished road
A ferry permit will require a Mx sign off, and if you don’t know what your a&p did in those inspection panels, ( I’m assuming that’s what you meant by “covers”.); then by flying it… well you get the idea.
Not sure how or why or even IF you’re crossways with this mech, but I would be cautious in attempting to fly this aircraft.
Is there another mech you can get help from, if you are in need of another mech?
The spinner bulkheads, without spinners, will fold back under rpm from the prop. I wouldn’t run it up to high rpm’s without spinners.
As an FYI, a ferry permit will allow one to fly an “unairworthy” aircraft.

Last edited by RandyArizona : 01-30-24 at 01:58 AM.
Unread 01-31-24, 10:07 PM

Jhogan0101 is on a distinguished road
A “buddy” of mine flew about 20 hours in 2 months while he was waiting for a new front spinner.
Nothing different or bad happened.
Unread 01-31-24, 10:51 PM

kbecker is on a distinguished road
Did they take the spinner bulkhead off before flying it without the spinner?

Kevin
Unread 02-01-24, 06:46 AM

Jhogan0101 is on a distinguished road
No, was in place.

Last edited by Jhogan0101 : 02-01-24 at 06:50 AM.
Unread 02-01-24, 05:55 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
When I ran a flight school in Florida, we had a fleet of 172s. They had hundreds of hours per year put on them, and the spinners generally only lasted 2-3 years before they developed bad cracks. The bulkheads never seemed to fail, but the spinners would develop cracks that eventually could not be safely stop-drilled anymore.

Replacing spinners was so common that we kept a supply of spares. Often the instructors would do the swap with their students. I did several myself. There's really not much too it, just be certain to get the screws in tight so they don't vibrate out. The A&P would sign it off later. I don't recall him ever having any issue with the work that had been done by the instructor/student.

YMMV

Last edited by mshac : 02-01-24 at 05:57 PM.
Unread 02-04-24, 11:06 PM

Thanks for answering the questions on this. I've decided it isn't as big a deal as I thought to just reattach the spinners. Just a lot of screws to add. The post was starting to turn into less about can you fly without a prop spinner and more what you can temporarily state can you fly if you have to fly to another field. Aren't there instances where an aircraft will not be completely airworthy, but you have no choice but to take it to another field for repairs?

I think that is part of what I was trying to find out. I talked to the FSDO and if the work is not finished soon, I'm going to have to find and A&P to review any panels I have to close to make sure the previous mechanic didn't take something apart that I don't know about. I'll let you know how it goes.

Karl
Unread 03-12-24, 09:42 AM

general is an unknown quantity at this point
FYI an interesting side note some of the military had the prop Spinners covers and some of them did not