Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 04-25-21, 09:24 AM

YankeeClipper is on a distinguished road
Suggested source for new prop?

Front propeller is a threaded-type in need of an overhaul, and IA says I should consider replacing with a new, (flange-type?) instead. Is this as simple as going to airpower inc and putting my 15k down and moving on, or are there options I should be looking into?

With respect to 3-blade: I'd love nothing more, but the only reading I've found says no mixing with a 2-blade, and I just don't have the budget for a second one (the rear blade is just fine). Also, I'm guessing that Aviation Enterprises is out of business--or on hiatus--anyway, because no amount of phone calls and messages has earned me a response.
Unread 04-25-21, 05:28 PM

Jhogan0101 is on a distinguished road
The props need to be compatible with each other 100%.
I would either overhaul the front or replace the front and rear as a pair. There are a couple props on ebay that could be useful for parts.
The parts for the threaded type are very hard to come by and many prop shops want nothing to do with them.
Treasure coast propellor has some parts and maybe able to overhaul your front prop. Good luck.
(888) 245-7767
Unread 04-25-21, 05:43 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
One year ago after my front prop on my 1973 C337G failed to pass an overhaul at Aircraft Propeller Service Inc., I tried without success to find a quality overhaul-able replacement front prop and just bit the bullet and bought a brand new front prop from Propeller Man in Florida (was actually a woman, Gayle Hustad (407)-932-2222). Gayle was super helpful and paying by check got me a good price compared to other sources. I paid $14,155.00 in February of 2020.

My rear prop will be sent to Tiffin Air, in Tiffin, OH in the next 2 weeks or so for overhaul. I am planning on it failing too. If it passes, BONUS but I'm not holding my breath. If it fails, I'll be calling Gayle for a new rear prop. McCauley prices usually go up in the first quarter of the year so I'm banking on two price increases since February 2020 as when I purchased the new front prop, the annual price increase had not been implemented yet.

Good Luck with your search. If you uncover anything interesting, please share as all my efforts in Feb 2020 were fruitless.

Thanks,

Ed
Unread 04-26-21, 12:57 AM

wslade2 is on a distinguished road
Any comments about MT props?
What about an IRAN for the prop?

Last edited by wslade2 : 04-26-21 at 01:04 AM.
Unread 04-26-21, 04:27 AM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
My experience last year was unsuccessful regarding IRAN (inspect and repair as necessary) or a “reseal” of the prop. Both Aircraft Propeller Service, Inc and Tiffin Air would not do either of these on my front prop. It had been 30 years since overhaul on that prop with a “reseal” when the prop was 14 and 21 years old. My sense was last year that prop shops are refusing reseal or IRAN’s on any prop that is more than 10 years since it was last overhauled. Your mileage may vary but that is what I experienced. Keep us posted.

Thanks
Ed
Unread 04-26-21, 08:31 AM

TomM is on a distinguished road
Tiffin and the big shops dont want to deal with IRAN. In fact, I had Brad Newman who runs the place give me my check ride in my plane. He showed me the shop and all they do is full overhaul, really nothing else. Most if not all our old props will never be able to be fully overhauled. I had my prop resealed in August of last year at H and S propeller in Michigan. It also had a bad knurl and they have a network of places with parts so they were able to find a serviceable part. Had the prop back in 3 weeks. They will do a reseal if you want to try them out.
Unread 04-26-21, 08:56 AM

YankeeClipper is on a distinguished road
Thanks all. I'll follow up on how I do.

-Gray-