Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 11-05-08, 10:01 PM

gkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile And she's changing to glass

It all started last month somewhere on my way to Edmonton, when ATC told me they could not see me on the radar any more. I recycled my transponder, idented and still they could not identify me. Then I smacked the transponder (my friend calls it a callibrating tap) and we were back on the radar. Then, the next day, I lost transmission capabilities on com #1. Then a week later while we were flying a turbulent patch, we smelled electrical smoke and the autopilot kicked off line. Granted, the Silver Crown centre stack I have has been in this plane for a good 25 years or more, so it was time. High time.

I took the plunge in a big way. I got GKEY ferried over to Victoria Avionics and we started talking new units over the phone. My new centre stack will now be (from top to bottom): Garmin 437 audio panel, Garmin 530W, SL30 NavCom, S-Tec 55 (currently in the stack), DME (currently in stack), Garmin GTX 330 S transponder, ADF (currently in stack). The S-Tec 55 has been sent back to the factory to see what went wrong and if it can be repaired, otherwise we buy a 55x.

I am also removing the left and right panel and have new ones cut. The left one is planned and configured to take the Aspen PFD and MFD's. I am throwing out almost all of the current steam gauges and will install the 2" Mid-Continent back-up trio gauges. The right panel will house the new Xerion AuRACLE 2120 engine monitor, and because of all the new electronics I'll have to have a second breaker box. This will be made electrolumiscent and dimmable, and will house all the avionics related breakers.

So far I am over $50K just on hardware alone, but I realize that. To me it is a favor returned to the best girlfriend I've ever had - beloved my 337G.