Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-23-23, 07:28 PM

SteveG is an unknown quantity at this point
magneto issues

Just when I thought I had experienced yet another unique failure mode I read a very similar story added by our own Mouseketeer "El queso grande" to the thread about a plane down in Montana in which he secured an engine due to a mag failure attributed to loose screws due to deferred maintenance. I've just experienced the same failure but after only 68 hrs. since a comprehensive inspection and rebuild by a well known magneto specialty shop. I'll skip over the blow by blow details of the flight and address the crux of the issue. In troubleshooting the problem I found the mag loose but not in the manner one might expect. The drive half of the mag was still securely clamped to the engine case but the distributor half was loose. All five case half securing screws had partially backed out. Thinking I had identified the cause of the misfire and suspecting distributor drive gear damage, the mag was pulled off and inspected. Although the housing halves had come partially apart no internal damage was noted. But looking further and opening the points compartment it was found that the screw securing the condenser had completely backed out and was just rattling around within, randomly shorting out the points and causing havoc with the ignition sequence. And so, the moral of the story is keep an eye on your magnetos regardless of time in service lest you find yourself with a very unhappy engine.
Unread 05-27-23, 05:01 PM
bigcheese

n86121 is on a distinguished road
Not deferred maintenance, but recent!

Not deferred at all!

It had just come out of maintenance, and they didn't tighten those screws apparently.

Good lesson on many levels
Fort Washington, MD 20744
Unread 05-27-23, 05:58 PM

SteveG is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry. I read "out of maintenance" as timed out, not coming out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: