Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-10-23, 11:57 PM

CO_Skymaster is on a distinguished road
Time in Annual

I am curious if anyone else has been experiencing longer than usual time for annual. In the past the time between getting in the shop to exiting the shop would be 3 - 6 weeks. 3 weeks if there were few items on my List of Discrepancies (LOD). I lost my old mechanic and have been trying out new ones. Last year's annual was 10 weeks from entry to exit with some LODs. I didn't think this year would take as long, but I am closing on 9 weeks, and I haven't received a LOD yet, which makes me think they have no looked at it yet. Last time I asked, they said they were working on the documentation. I'm told my area has a shortage of mechanics and they tend to work on multiple aircraft at a time. Leaving only limited number of hours per week to work on mine. I also think that if I have a shop work on my aircraft that also performs maintenance on commercial and business jets, I think they get the priority if work on these aircraft needs to be performed. That's just my guess, but I had work done at a shop that serviced all these and the smaller aircraft seem to almost be push to a shop project. Just wondering if it's the A&P, the area, or if this is happening everywhere.

Karl
Unread 05-11-23, 09:23 AM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
I have been using the same shop for over 30 years of which the last 21 years has been with my C337G. I'd say 3 to 5 weeks is typical for my annual inspections. They always seem to have hangars full of airplanes. I'd say 70% is piston stuff and the other 30% is turbine stuff.

I will say the industry is likely trending longer than shorter turn around times. Simply not enough mechanics to go around. It's our world of general aviation.
Unread 05-11-23, 10:19 PM

CO_Skymaster is on a distinguished road
Thank you for the answer. I had the same shop for about 10 years (2 different A&P, one bought out the other) and they were really great. I tried to stay with the last one even though they moved to a different airfield that was less convenient. It didn't work out. I really think I was lucky, now that I look back on it.

Karl
Unread 05-12-23, 10:39 AM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
Yes, my shop has been the heartbeat of my airplane ownership experience. Formerly Lumanair (relatively small family FBO) since the 1950's I believe, however sold out a couple years ago and is now Revv Aviation which is a large regional FBO chain (maybe even national but not certain of that).

Anyway, the key has been my IA who has been working at my home airport (KARR) since he was 16. He's now in his mid 60's. We have a fantastic working/friendship relationship and he and all the A&P's he has trained has stayed on with Revv so even though the name has changed, the faces are all the same.

I will do things such as oil changes, etc., but I have little interest in turning wrenches to any great extent. I find it back breaking and frustrating but I have tremendous respect for the people who do it everyday. I have a very strong interest in understanding the mechanics of the airplane, but I'm happy to let the shop do the work.

The system has worked for me but I am very worried about the future. My IA is not going to work forever and the thought of starting over in today's world frankly frightens me. It is entirely possible my IA's retirement (not planned at the moment) will correspond with my retirement of my Skymaster. I truly hope to continue operating my C337G for quite sometime but my "absolute must have" more than anything is an experienced, knowledgeable, competent, humble, trust worthy, friendly, etc. mechanic who knows my airplane inside and out and is happy to turn wrenches on it. We take care of each other and it has worked for decades. I could not imagine operating these VERY OLD but cool airplanes in any other way.

I wish you good luck in your maintenance experiences!

Ed

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: