MEMPHIS, TN 2 9.52%
MEXICO, COZUMEL 4 19.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 12-14-08, 07:10 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Soapa 2009

There are several locations recommended. Please vote for the one you think would be best, and the one you want. You can only vote once, and you can not change your vote.
Unread 12-15-08, 06:29 AM
Web Master

Branson MO

This is from Beth

Branson Getaway
2 Nights Accommodations
1 Music Show
2 Continental Breakfasts
Branson VIP Discount Book & All Taxes
$179 February 1 - September 30
Package Price Based On 2 People
Additional Child $17.00 (Ages 4-11)
Additional Adult $32.00
Best Of Branson # 1
3 Nights Accommodations
Choice of Dixie Stampede Dinner Show or
Showboat Branson Belle Dinner Cruise
3 Music Shows
(Choice of Andy Williams,
Broadway! "The Star Spangled Celebration"
Dick Clarks American Bandstand Theatre,
Jim Stafford Show, Yakov Smirnoff,
Mickey Gilley w/Joey Riley,
The Shoji Tabuchi Show,
Noah The Musical New Show)
3 Continental Breakfasts
Branson VIP Discount Book & All Taxes
$329 February 1 - September 30
Unread 12-15-08, 06:38 AM
Web Master

New Orleans

The New Orleans Jazz Fest has been held for 40 years

http://www.nojazzfest.com/

It gathers some of the worlds greatest musicians, literally hundreds, every year. Last year included Stevie Wonder, Aaron Neville, Jimmy Buffet and others

We would propose to have our skymaster meeting during jazz fest, starting April 29, Wednesday, with a tour of Continental Motors, located in Mobile, less than 1 hour flying time away.

Last edited by WebMaster : 12-15-08 at 06:49 AM.
Unread 12-15-08, 06:56 AM
Web Master

Portland Maine

Portland Maine is a scenic city on the South Coast of Maine. It is a harbor city, with a rich heritage. And, MAINE LOBSTER.

http://www.portlandmaine.com/index.php?sec=1

We would propose to have a windjammer cruise one evening.
A tour of Oxford Aviation http://www.oxfordaviation.com/index.html would be included in our program. Oxford Aviation is the facility that has done much of the work for AOPA's latest project airplane.

Last edited by WebMaster : 12-15-08 at 07:23 AM.
Unread 12-16-08, 07:50 PM
Web Master

New Orleans

The music lineup has been announced.

http://www.nojazzfest.com/

It includes Aretha Franklin, Tony Bennett, The Neville Brothers, Bonnie Rait, Buddy Guy (I thought he was dead) Ellis Marsalis, Dave Matthews Band, James Taylor, Earth Wind and Fire, Pete Fountain.

Wow, what a gathering of truly great performers.
Unread 12-16-08, 11:22 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Please Vote

OK
There have been 97 people view this thread and only 8 people have voted! Come on let's exercise our SOAPA rights.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 12-17-08, 06:05 PM
Forum Administrator

http://www.bransonairshow.com/

Unread 12-17-08, 09:16 PM
Web Master

BRanson

I saw the note about the airshow, and the fact that they are opening a NEW airport, the formal dedication is after the airshow.
Unread 12-18-08, 02:02 PM

SteveG is an unknown quantity at this point
Regarding the Branson option, my interest in Branson's malls, "B"stage shows, etc. is near zero but an alternative for your consideration would be to fly into Gaston's Resort. Use it as a base of operations for lodging, meals & conference facilities. Then based on one's interests, stay for some fly fishing and R&R or fly/drive out to Branson for its commercial opportunities but reserving one day to attend the opening air show at Sir Richard's latest brainstorm. Developing that idea into a fully fledged program would pique my interest. But anyone else's? Gaston's - 3M0, Branson - BBG, Taney Co. - PLK
Unread 12-21-08, 09:57 PM

John Hoffman is an unknown quantity at this point
Larry - I voted for Branson and Memphis, both can be flown into from any direction in case of some weather. Have a friend in Memphis and allways wanted to see Graceland, listening to the all Elvis channel now. Have been to Branson a few times over the years and allways found things to do. Mexico is fun but I parked the Skymaster in SanDiego last fall and flew commercial to Cobo, just not worth the hassel for me to my self in. New Orleans is fun and the wife would enjoy it, havent been there in a while, maybe should have voted for that one also. Not a Jazzman but theres plenty to do there. Thanks for your work on the meeting.
Unread 12-31-08, 08:14 PM
Forum Administrator

It looks like the interest for Branson is the highest and most talked about. Unless anyone disagrees please post here now. The voting is closed and it's a tie. I would say that if no one else has any input the meeting committee will be taking up the info above and trying to determine the best spot to land. It does sound like Branson would be very central location, offer many different activities, the airport is really friendly to these kind of flyins. There is a Clarion Hotel with shuttle service from the airport right on the strip that hosted a pilot convention last year and it had great reviews. If we book 10 rooms the rate is $79.95 king/queen and the conference room would be $125 for all three days. So post your ideas for the committee to consider.

The current airport is about 2 miles from this hotel and they have shuttle service at no charge. Wouldn't need to rent a car if you are staying close by. For those that want to venture out to fly fishing the FBO has Avis rental in the building.

The airshow is Sat (May 9 & 10) and Sun so we could have our meetings on Thurs / Fri and an opening Wed night like normal. Those that wanted to stay for the airshow VIP tickets can be had for $60 for both days, that includes meal and access to the VIP tent area front row seats. http://www.bransonairshow.com/

Well let's make some comments here, how does it sound??

Unread 01-01-09, 11:06 AM

ipasgas1 is on a distinguished road
I was hoping for New Orleans for the sites and ambiance. I have never been to Branson but assume it would be OK, not sure I would enjoy it as much but would try Will it be much of a concern trying to fly in or out with the airshow going on? I know it won't be a beehive like OshKosh but...? I was really looking forward to the Jazz and taking in a couple of haunted tours in New Orleans as well as helping their local economy a little bit. This will be my first SOAPA meeting if I can get her scheduled. I was excited about Michigan and then got stuck on call with work and didn't get to come. I really wanted to see the Brothers speaker and film. When is the next Bahamas sorte?
Unread 01-01-09, 01:21 PM
Forum Administrator

Well New Orleans is still on the ballot because of the tie. The committee will take your comments in consideration. I don't see that departures from Branson will be an issue. I am sure there will be a flight restriction over the airshow (new airport) but not the airport we will be based at.

There were some concerns about New Orleans based on others that have been in and out of there recently. There is not an airport that is real convenient for us to base from. The best one is the main International airport and that gets really expensive to park and fuel. Then it's quite a hike to downtown and no real good shuttle service. At least no free shuttle service. Anyway this is some of the issues in consideration for New Orleans. Thanks for your comments and where ever we end up I hope that you can join us.

If you come to SOAPA 2009 you can join the 2010 meeting committee and put your vote in for the Islands.

Unread 01-01-09, 02:02 PM

John Hoffman is an unknown quantity at this point
Allways tough to choose, I have been to both locations but would choose Branson. If you are basing at the old airport I remember it as super convenient, could see some of the College buildings on the next hill and town was just beyond them. Probably over all a more economical trip. We always rented a car to bounce around. There are some nearby lakes and the local College was a nice suprise, great student run restaurant, and spent most of a day going thru a museum they have on campus that had a huge firearms collection.
Unread 01-08-09, 01:25 PM

Paul462 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Dauphine Hotel (1 block off Bourbon Street in the French Quarter) just quoted an average of $216 per night plus tax for the nights of Wed 4/29/09 - Sat 5/2/09, Continental breakfast included. They currently have 22 rooms available. Maybe a group rate discount could be negotiated?

We generally land at New Orleans Lakefront - going into Louis Armstrong Int'l. would be like landing a small plane at JFK instead of Teterborough. A few months ago, Lakefront tie-down cost depended on the FBO - Flightline was charging $15/night (ramp fee waived with 20 gal. avgas purchase), which is less than the $20-25/night some French Quarter hotels charge for car parking, and for $15/night your airplane gets a lake view! Prety toni. We generally rent a car at Lakefront.

Paddlewheel dinner cruise with a live Dixieland Band (the Dukes of Dixieland, I think) was around $35 a year or two ago. The New Orleans Acquarium is within walking distance; the New Orleans Zoo is a 20 min. trolley car ride away.

On the other hand, it would be good to see Andy Williams again (if his voice is still good :-) and the Branson Airshow, and I'll bet there are Lake of the Ozarks dinner/booze cruises - or is Branson in a dry county?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: