Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 01-29-09, 07:29 PM

Paul Sharp is an unknown quantity at this point
Insurance

I got that stupid cover letter again from Skysmith that says "Anyone receiving any dual/instruction in the insured aircraft must be a named pilot AND THE CFI MUST MEET THE OPW." No instructor I have anywhere in this part of the country meets the OPW and that's an asinine statement to make. I complained about it but he is just stonewalling on the issue.

I've called them twice in the last 2 years and they always claim - verbally, on the phone, which is worthless - that it doesn't mean I'm not covered when I get BFR or IFR competency dual, but it's a dumb statement and it leaves us open to lawyers' claws should anything happen in those regularly-recurring circumstances. Scott seems more interested in covering his hiney than in looking after his customers.

I'm wondering if anyone else can recommend and insurance agent or company that would be comparable to what we're getting from him. I have hull coverage of $100,000 plus the usual 1 million liability, etc., and I pay $2685.

Anyone have something comparable they can suggest?
Unread 01-29-09, 10:55 PM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point
One word of advice...AVEMCO. They don't play the shadey insurance company role...totally up front and full coverage with no deductables for a gear up landing. Call them, they're the only direct underwriter of aviation insurance...everyone else is just a middleman.
Unread 02-01-09, 03:57 PM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
O P W

What is OPW? thanks, guy paris
Unread 02-01-09, 08:56 PM
Ace of the Atmosphere

skymstr02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Paris View Post
What is OPW? thanks, guy paris
Open pilot waiver. Usually means some one who meets or exceeds the minimum total, multi, time in make and model hours. My policy reads 1500 total, 500 multi and 100 in 337's for open pilot.
Unread 02-17-09, 05:58 PM

I called Avemco and their quote was $1500 over what I'm paying now. I appreciate the suggestion, but that one didn't pan out very well.
Unread 02-17-09, 10:22 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Got a letter in the mail today from a Insurance Company in Kansas City. You should all be receiving one through the FAA list he used. Call 877-353-1047, Carl Grimmett, his letter says he is very competitive.

My OPW states: current and valid FAA certificate, 750 total, 250 multi, 25 type, IFR.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 02-18-09, 12:59 PM

My OPW actually has the same requirements.

I made a call to AIG and asked to talk to an underwriter. They said I should go through my agent. I told them I had sent a letter and received no response from my agent. So they put me on hold and called Scott Smith, who tolds them he would be glad to talk to me. So I played this game and called Scott back and went over things.

The upshot is that according to the language in my policy - note that not everyone's policy is the same, of course, so each of us must investigate our own policies to see what's up - provides that I can fly so long as I am legally the PIC and otherwise have met policy requirements. But what does that amount to?

STICKY PARTS: If I'm getting instrument instruction or doing an IPC in VFR conditions, fine. BUT if I go over the 24-month BFR time requirement, I can't legally fly my airplane any more as PIC. So I have to go get a BFR in a rented aircraft, a rather stupid practice but I can't fly my own and be covered by my insurance, because I know of no CFI around here who has 25 hours in make/model per the OPW and I can't legally be PIC after 24 months without first getting the BFR.

I think that's a sticky technicality, but it's a real one. I believe this should be clearly pointed out to pilots when we receive our policies and not left to us to try to interpret the policy language (I can generally do that but this was not as clear as it should be IMO). The statement Skysmith Ins. sends out says no dual/instruction unless the CFI meets the OPW - period. That isn't correct, except in such circumstances as the out-of-BFR situation or something similar. Who would like to be getting a BFR after the 24-mo. time frame and heaven forbid have some incident or accident and then find out that the ins. company says "Sorry, but you weren't covered"?
Unread 02-19-09, 09:28 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Great article in the latest Consumer Aviation on Insurance Policy and what is covered. It's a good read, I was really surprised what is really covered and that the insurance company really will pay the claim. Of course this is all off the record but I am sure that Aviation Consumer polled a lot of situations and I trust they wouldn't write an article like this without knowing what really happens out there. Anyone else read this article?

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years