Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 03-14-09, 08:11 PM

Mark Hislop is an unknown quantity at this point
Cowl Flap Motors--GOOD NEWS for a change

Hi guys. It's been a while since I've visited the message board...been too busy. But to make up for it, I have some good news regarding the SkyMaster owner's ever present fear of his cowl flap motor giving up the ghost.

My front cowl flap motor did just that. It was getting progressively slower to operate, and finally quit. A new one, if you can get it, is $2,500. Tom Carr of CPA put me in touch with a guy in California that will rebuild them for a flat fee of $850, which is about 1/3 the price, but still is a lot of money for a fractional horsepower DC motor.

Just on a whim, I asked a guy here in Chicago, who has done my mags in the past, and who was rebuilding my FE fuel spider, if he knew anybody who rebuild these motors. HE DOES THEM HIMSELF! He rebuilt my front cowl flap motor for $284, including tax! (Isn't it said when one is excited by spending "only" $284?) He did it in just one day to boot! I just installed it, and it works great.

He also gave me a tip. He put a little red RTV around the motor leads where they exit the motor housing. He says that most of these motors get gunked up, and mine was no exception.

The name of the outfit is

RLB Accessory Service
FAA Station KB2R946K
971 N Babbitt Avenue
Addison, IL 60101

630-543-9213

The owner is Bob Bena (pronounced Benya). He runs his business out of the basement of his house, but he's been doing it for 40 years, and he does spectacular work.

Mark
Unread 03-15-09, 09:33 PM

JeffAxel is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks Mark, this could be really useful. The thought of being raped for a cowl flap motor wasn't sitting well. I will contact your guy when the need arises...thanks again!!
Unread 03-31-09, 01:07 PM

Paul Sharp is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down

Yes, these kinds of things are always great input. I added it to my database of Skymaster hints/kinks/maintenance suggestions, etc. Thanks for posting it.
Unread 12-04-10, 11:45 AM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
Mark, are you still satisfied with your front cowl flap motor from Mr. Bena? Your experience sounds very different from Kelly Greene's. My front motor is in need of service and I am contemplating calling Mr. Bena. My motor is still working but very slowly and has been getting slower over the last few years. My symptoms sound similar to your motor. Any thoughts? I figured if I call Mr. Bena, I could simply hand him the motor myself.

Thanks, Ed Asmus N1873M
Unread 12-04-10, 04:36 PM

Mark Hislop is an unknown quantity at this point
Still Satisfied

Ed:

My cowl flap motor is still running perfectly. I hadn't realized how slow it had gotten until I had it repaired.

I read Kelly's problem. I don't know what to say. My motor was repaired well, and done within a few days. I have had other items repaired or rebuild by Bob Bena, including the fuel spider on my front engine (it kept dripping) and my mags. Many people on our field have used him for mags and prop governors, and as far as I know have all been happy. Tom Carr of CPA called Bob Bena after I posted my "find" and chlecked him out. Tom sent me an email from which I gathered that Tom was impressed with Bob's capabilities. He even told me that Bob could rewind the motors.

If I have need of a repair that Bob can do, I still fee confident in his work.
Unread 12-04-10, 06:33 PM

Thanks Mark...

I will call Mr. Bena on Monday and I will give feedback to the forum on how it goes. I am hoping for the same success that you had.

Ed
Unread 12-06-10, 08:28 AM
Owner 337H N337DC

Dale Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point
Cowl flap motors

If you can not clean the motors yourself, it is good to have someone to do it for you. I had both my front and rear slow down and then quit, do to gummy motor brushes. I pulled both cleaned with electrical cleaner and put back on during annual. That was 5 years ago and they still work fine. That cost me nothing.
Unread 12-06-10, 08:44 PM

Thanks Dale,

Turns out that my motor needed exactly as you say. My shop cleaned up the motor, cleaned and lubricated the gears and all is well. Hopefully this works for another 35+ years. ;o)

Also, as for Mr. Bena, it sounds as if his health has been ailing for the past few months. Several folks at my home airport spoke well of his services so my guess would be that the problem that Kelly had could have possibly been caused by Mr. Bena's health concerns. My hope is that he recovers!

Thanks,

Ed

Last edited by edasmus : 12-06-10 at 08:48 PM. Reason: did not finish my original thouight