Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 08-15-13, 09:56 AM

jchronic is on a distinguished road
Many good points to consider raised by Ernie and Herb. I'll add one more re your experience level: the recency of your experience, or to put it another way, your current proficiency for the mission contemplated.

When I'm into a survey season and flying the Skymaster 35-50 hours a month (or more), I'll launch into situations I'd otherwise avoid during our down time when I'm only flying it 3-4 hours a month to avoid getting into preservation steps. Likewise flying my personal fun ship (a Skybolt); I'm a lot more cautious re wind conditions, e.g., for a time after I get it out of winter storage until I put a few hours of taildragger time under my belt.

As was indicated, it's probably OK - indeed advisable - to set hard and fast minimum launch numbers if your overall experience is on the low side. But sooner or later you'll be faced with a situation where your gut wants to go but your numbers say 'No' and you'll be tempted to waffle. That's the really critical self-exam point: Do I now have enough experience to 'situationalize' my minimum numbers, or do I need to adhere to them?

Joe