Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 01-19-16, 03:42 PM

JamesC is on a distinguished road
Grass Strips

Getting a new job in the spring - commuting would mean landing on a 2000' grass strip in my P337H - ugh. Last time for me was in a 172. Very doable in a 337 but I don't know if I want to do that to my aircraft at least not on a regular basis. I've heard of the Skymaster technique of using rear engine power to maintain elevator authority at very low speeds etc. but I am still worried re retractable gear abuse. Any comments from those who utilize grass strips re gear issues/rear prop damage issues?
Unread 01-19-16, 10:06 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
A nice tailored and cared for grass strip should be no problem for the 337. It does get a little trickier with the P model because of weight. To me the approach and exit are probably more important than anything else. What's at each end of the runway and where does the wind predominantly come from. 2,000 ft is not going to give you much room for error. Things to consider are heat, density altitude, condition of the strip, grass height, softness of the ground, load in the aircraft and pilot skill. I have seen a P model do 2400 ft on a good surface of grass and it can be nail biting. I have seen the same plane do 2700 ft and it looks much better. So 2000 ft is going to be challenging. Do it by the book and see what it says. Remember the book is based on a brand new plane with fresh engines and props. Thanks Cessna.

If you can go to a longer, similar grass conditioned strip and mark the 2000 ft and see what happens. Depending on the approach and exit of the strip you want to use, you may find by doing the test at a longer strip that 2000 ft is not going to be real safe for daily use.

There are some mods out there, STOL, VG's and engine enhancements that may help if it doesn't break the bank.

As far as technique to depart a short, grass strip, I always want all the power I can get. Hold the brakes, run up the rear to full power, release the brakes and bring in the front as you pull up the nose to avoid blowing FOD into the rear prop. Another method I used in the back country was something my dad taught me, the rolling departure. If there is room to the side of the runway, position the plane so that you can make a rolling turn onto the runway before adding full power. This has been pretty effective in the mountains but requires some technique and area to be able to perform it. If it's a nice grass strip you shouldn't have any problems with the rear prop eating FOD and the gear on the Skymaster is duty tested for a lot more abuse than a grass strip.

Disclaimer: I don't fly a P model and have very limited experience in one.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years

Last edited by hharney : 01-19-16 at 10:14 PM.
Unread 01-23-16, 01:33 PM

JAG is on a distinguished road
Stopping

James,
It would seem to me, braking action/ slowing down will be the biggest issue. No experience with the Skymaster in this regard, but used to have my own 2400 foot grass strip and braking action was the biggest issue on landing.

Jeff
Unread 04-29-16, 07:37 PM

FMild is on a distinguished road
No Problems; our aircraft was built for this

I have a 2500' grass strip in Indiana, and I completely agree with Herb. The approach & departure corridor are more important to me. I have an open field to the north and powerlines on the south, so I depart north & land south. Inadvertently (read not paying close attention) I departed with 4 adults & full fuel and used 1900 ft to get airborne. I routinely turn around mid-field after landing with medium brake application.
In my opinion there is no better twin for a grass strip. High wing to get you over crops, nice spring gear, and that famous centerline thrust. The only damage I've ever had to the back prop was due to (I think) losing a dzus fastener from the rear cowling. Oh, and I had to wipe off soybean residue from the gear legs when I misjudged a 180 degree turn once...fortunately the lower side of my airplane is green so no one else noticed...