Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 06-05-02, 10:12 PM

Paul Sharp is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's my basic approach: I keep the mains full at all times, having them topped off after landing each time. If I have used the aux. tanks I plan to run them dry each time (I simply switch back to the main tank when each engine starts to sputter). Then when I land I not only get the mains topped off but have them add 7 gals. to each aux. tank. That way I always have some "insurance" in case I do something stupid.

If I'm going on a trip where I want range and don't have to worry about the weight trade-off, I call ahead and have them top off the aux. tanks.

Note the standard caveat, however, that you always want to burn off an hour's fuel from the mains before switching to the aux. tanks or you'll be sending fuel out the overflow into the atmosphere - losing gas, money, and flying endurance time.

As to settings, I usually set for about 70% or even 75% power, due to the fact that what studying I've done in past years tends to indicate that getting there faster usually ends up saving on all-around costs in the long run. But if I ever think I might possibly get to where reserves would be stretched at all I simply throttle back until I reach a fuel stop.