Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 10-09-03, 01:30 AM

Richard is an unknown quantity at this point
Weak induction link.

It's been a little over a year now. I've tore down my Skymaster to the metal. Replaced all wiring and 80% of all hard lines, softlines. I feel I know the 67 models pretty good by now, but I am by no means a professional Skymaster guy. I've noticed a weak link to the Skymaster though. Maybe I'm wrong, but the air filters seem a little small. The engines themselves only flow about 350cfm. This is giving it a 100 VME rating. So realistically at cruise maybe 275cfm. Even with this number in mind. The air filters still seem extremely small for that kind of flow. Most small diesel engines have larger effective service area than that. I've looked at the Bracket filters. They seem to have a good idea, but the counter for the large bracing is by large voids in the filter material. Second, the aux doors don't seem to make a perfect seal. Third, even in the newer Skymasters, they seem to have a few holes in the induction. On most engines it takes approx. 6oz of dirty to destroy the engine. Seems to me that VME could be increased and icing could be reduced by increasing the surface area of the filters. Not to mention the reduced risk of dust in the engine. Am I off?