Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-08-18, 04:56 PM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Jerry De Santis is on a distinguished road
P337g

My plane is a 1975 P337G equipped with Air Cond., spoilers, and inter-coolers. I have no problem even on a hot day to carry full fuel and four adults. Also, while operating cost are higher than non-turbo Skymasters, my annuals run between two and three thousand a year. As far as turbos go, I find them not to be the nightmare I read about on this site. I will say however, I do run rich of peak and burn 27 gph. Hope this helps in your thinking.

Jerry
N34EC
Unread 08-08-18, 09:25 PM

YankeeClipper is on a distinguished road
Well that is interesting. Someone replied to a thread 3 years ago, with an extremely detailed account of expenses over nearly a decade, and his NA averaged 11k/yr in total maintenance. Are you doing a lot of mid-cycle maintenance? The numbers that keep getting thrown at me for 'P' costs would put you at 18-24k per year for maintenance alone, against the above (1.5-2x factor).
Unread 08-09-18, 10:24 AM

rrolland is on a distinguished road
Just completed the annual on my 76P. Like Jerry, I have AC and spoilers.

The base inspection cost was $2500.00. Additional items were a set of O rings for the left brakes, a new set brake hoses and the standard oil and oil filter changes plus and ELT battery. So well south of $3K. The aircraft is in good condition and maintained throughout the year.

XPDR and Pitot Static were done last year, and will be due next year so that will bump the cost up.

Since the last annual, I have spent just under 1K to replace the AC compressor and service the system, most of which was labor. The previous compressor had lasted over 20 years. I am in South Florida. Really need the AC...

I also spent $500 to troubleshoot panel lights. Again most of it was labor. The issue was a bad diode.

So my total for the year is around 4.5K. I have had no issues with the turbos or pressurization. I pull the full 3.35 differential. And they make flying a lot nicer...

this being said, an aircraft that has not be maintained properly in the past will cost a significant amount to bring it to a good standard. The numbers you quote may relate to such an aircraft.
Unread 08-13-18, 04:50 PM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Jerry De Santis is on a distinguished road
Replacements

True, I don't wait for the annual to replace certain items. If I need brake pads, or spark plugs, or oil and filter changes I get them done when needed. Are we talking about normal small item maintenance cost or annual expensive. I have N34EC over 20 years now and yes, it took a bit of extra cost to get it in good shape. That was the first two years of ownership. Thereafter, cost for annual is as I stated before.

Jerry
Unread 08-16-18, 08:41 PM

YankeeClipper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrolland View Post
I pull the full 3.35 differential. And they make flying a lot nicer...
Oh ... I have one of those in my 1980 Scout II.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: