Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 02-22-03, 12:07 PM

jimmuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to jimmuse
Long Range Tanks?

I am getting ready to buy a '75 337G.

The current owner has told me that the airplane has standard range tanks (93 gal), but all of the indications I have found (POH, Weight and Balance) are that it has long range (888 lbs or 148 gal).

Is there any way to tell without opening the wing?

Could the inboard component of the long range system have been removed at some time?

I have not looked at the logs, which I will do, but I am just curious.

Thanks

Jim
Unread 02-22-03, 12:16 PM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
re long range tanks

Jim

Believe that '75 was the first year for the 888 lbs tanks were installed AS AN OPTION. The factory did upgrade some 337's to long range tanks that were built in '74 of which mine was one. Apparently is was major surgery.

There must be a label at the filler neck to indicate qty (regulation). I think the tank that was added is on the outboard part of the wing and not the inboard as you mentioned. I do not have the manuals in front of me and going by memory. Check the equipement list from the factory that should tell you. Maybe the option wasn't purchased.

What is the serial number ?

Long range tanks makes a BIG difference.

Bob
Unread 02-22-03, 01:06 PM

skymaster is an unknown quantity at this point
xtra fuel

mine is 73p. we added 40 gallons tip to the 123 gallon capacity. now i would not consider any aircraft without xtra fuel capability. J
Unread 02-22-03, 03:07 PM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
A better way...

Jim,

Assuming you have access to the A/C, take a very careful look at the nomenclature on the overhead panel surrounding the fuel selectors... it should be plainly marked. Better still, with the aircraft's Serial Number in hand, give Cessna a call and obtain a copy of the original "Weight & Balance and Installed Equipment Data" sheet for the aircraft as it left the factory. 316-517-5800. There's a minimal charge, but it's worth having if you've narrowed down your choice to a specific 337, then you'll know what the plane was supposed to have installed.

SkyKing
Unread 02-22-03, 06:11 PM

Thanks for all of the responses.

The serial number is 1665.

According to the POH diagrams, if it is a standard system, then it should have the sump tank, like on my '67 337B, with a quick drain plug in the boom.... and if long range, then it would not have the sump with quick drain in the boom, but two quick drains next to the fuselage.

Thats the way this one is, which begged the question.

I will call Cessna on Monday and see if I can get the original weight and balance documents. And also take a look in the ships documents and logs.

There is a w&b from '91 that derived the empty weight by subtracting the 888 lbs. The latest w&b ('02) derived its numbers from the '91 version.

I have the aux tanks on my '67, and never really worried about fuel, because I rarely flew over 4 hours... even on a couple of legs. This is really making me think about duration... especially down into Mexico.
Unread 02-23-03, 01:32 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Jim,

I would strongly recommend that if you determine that it really does have only the 93 gal fuel capacity, then I would either not buy the airplane, or take a big chunk out of the value. Lack of long range tanks can really make the airplane hard to sell later.

Years ago, I flew to Outlaw field in AK or TN (can't remember) to look at a Cessna 206. It was a pristine, beautiful, well cared for airplane, and it was being sold at a bargain price. I could not figure out why it was priced so low, after a prebuy and looking at the logs, etc etc. So I bought it. On the way home, I figured it out. It was a great airplane, but it had only 4 hours of fuel capacity. If you take time to the alternate, 45 min reserve, and some holding fuel out of that, your IFR range is pretty limited, and it was a pain in the butt all the time that I owned it. And of course, *this* turned out to be the airplane that I needed to fly all over the US over the course of six months, with a bunch of equipment in the back. I flew 2.5 hour legs, so that I would have a little margin, and land with 45 - 60 min reserve. What a pain.

So I was dumb, you're not, you noticed. But think very carefully before buying it if it has only 93 gals of fuel...

Free advice, worth what you paid for it.

Kevin
Unread 02-23-03, 01:36 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Another thing just hit me about your message. I don't believe what you described about the drains is true. I have a '73 P337, which has the same fuel system, I think. I have a single quick drain in the boom, and I have long range (123 gal) tanks.

Kevin
Unread 02-23-03, 08:56 AM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
lr tanks

Kevin

Thought long range tanks is 888 lbs of fuel or approx 150 gals.

The fuel system is identical except for the extra tank. Somewhere I remember a change in mid to late 70's where the sumps in the wings were removed or the valves were put inside the cabin.

bob
Unread 02-23-03, 10:28 AM

Kevin McDole is an unknown quantity at this point
My notes indicate the capacities of the various models are as follows ("usable" is a little less than these numbers):

1965 337 through 1972 337F
Standard: 92.8
Long Range: 131

1973 - 1974 337G
Long Range: 125

1975 337G
Long Range: 150

1976 337G through 1980 337H
Standard: 90.6
Long Range: 150.6
Unread 02-23-03, 12:08 PM

What was the cost to put on the tip tanks?

Jim
Unread 02-23-03, 12:46 PM

skymaster is an unknown quantity at this point
tanks

sleuthing i found a used set. total cost around 10K. had i known more i would have aquired a 75 or later with 150 gallon capacity. J
Unread 02-24-03, 11:57 AM
Jim Rainer

Jim Rainer is an unknown quantity at this point
Long Range Tanks

Jim

Mine is a '76 337G; sn 1743 and has the long range tanks (150.6 total; 148 usable.) It has one filler cap on each wing and there are only 3 positions (no aux tanks) on the fuel selector; ON; OFF and XFEED. I believe the owner would know if he has only 93 gallons because it makes an ENORMOUS difference in the feel (heavy weight feel on TO) and the range (when he gets near empty on his guages and fills it - there's no way to miss the extra 55 gallons!!)

As everyone above has said - there's a lot of $$$ difference between the two systems.
Unread 02-24-03, 12:00 PM
Jim Rainer

long range tanks

Jim

Here's an additional note to my reply above;

there are two sump drains under each wing - both right beside each other and next to the fuselage
Unread 02-24-03, 08:51 PM

Well, the mystery deepens.

I looked the plane over carefully, and came up with the following:

1. The filler necks are far out on the wing.

2. The fuel selectors indicate 74 gallons

and 3. The fuel guages show a max of 74 gallons.

Sounds like long range to me... but the previous owner swears it is only 93 gallons.

I looked the logs over and have found no mention of any changes, and ordered the original w&b and equipment list from Cessna (nominal fee 0f $57.00).

I will look the logs over again tonight and query the owner again.

I'll let you know what I find.

Always an adventure. My mechanic usually says "That's airplanes"

Jim
Unread 02-24-03, 09:46 PM
Jim Rainer

Sounds like long range tanks, afterall. The owner made a lot more fuel stops than he had to and probably was some 300 lbs heavier than he thought he was!