Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 03-05-03, 06:08 PM

skymaster is an unknown quantity at this point
paint scheme

hey i would like to paint my 73 p . you guys have any details willing to share J
Unread 03-05-03, 07:52 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
If you are painting a P, make sure that the shop you choose is experienced at painting pressurized aircraft, and that they have a good reputation. Apparently a non-trivial number of folks have had their pressurized windows damaged by paint stripper, and had to replace them, which is quite expensive.

My P337 was painted two owners before me, and this happened to the windows. Someone, either the shop or the owner, decided to cover up the damage with sealant. On my second annual (and something like the 8th annual since painting), some sealant came off, revealed the damage, and I had to replace all my windows, about $15,000 as I recall.

I had my normally aspirated 337 painted after I bought it, and it was very successful. Really makes you feel like you own a "new" airplane.

Only other advice, get *recent* references about the shop you choose, and REALLY spend time asking around. You may have to pay more, but there is wide variation in the quality of paint shops, and just because a shop was good two years ago does not mean they are now, and vice versa.

Great paint really enhances the value of your airplane, and for me at least, the enjoyment of it. Poor paint can be a real disaster.

Kevin
Unread 03-05-03, 09:12 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED?
THERE IS A GOOD SHOP IN KINGMAN, AZ