Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

View Poll Results: In what region shall we hold our next meeting? (You may vote for any or all regions)
Northeastern U.S. 6 16.67%
Southeastern U.S. 7 19.44%
Central U.S. 11 30.56%
Northwestern U.S. 9 25.00%
Southwestern U.S. 8 22.22%
Bahamas/Carribbean 8 22.22%
Mexico 4 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Unread 09-07-02, 03:33 PM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re Next meeting

TCAY Meeting.

Based on conversation with other owners, it appears Treasure Cay is of interest for next year. I am trying to confirm the bill fishing tournament so we can squeeze in before then.

We have a couple of options for accomodations so we could all be closer together.

Side trip

As a side interest it has been suggested that we set up a side trip prior to the meeting. I am working on a group possibility where a number of aircraft leave on Saturday and Rendevous on Sunday morning at KFPR. Fly to the Keys for lunch, refuel and head for Grand Cayman. Spend Monday in Grand Cayman. Tuesday morning head for Turks and Cacos. Wednesday, Harbour Island Eluthra. Thursday, Nassau, and Friday morning Treasure Cay. I can get some reasoneable rates at the Atlantis hotel.

http://www.maps-of-mexico.com/world-.../bahamas.shtml

http://www.caymanislands.ky/

There is a town with an airport called "HELL". We can fly there so you can tell everyone you have been to "Hell and Back". <G>

Meeting........

Friday Rendezvous / cocktail party for those people from the cockpits.. (at a place without cockroaches).
Saturday Meeting. / dinner in evening. (outdoor texas barbque with steak and lobster). Even a masquite wood Arkansas smoker barbque on wheels.

Sunday Depart for KFPR in afternoon. (We Now have night lighting in TC).

Monday departure for others is optional.

Comments

If there is enough interest or suggestions for other locations let me know. I can provide you with a mileage/trip analysis. I have someone at the Tourist board who is willing to obtain the best rates and find some sponsors for either dinner or side trips. This requires more than 10 aircraft to get them involved at this level.

Think you would find this an exciting trip. Turks and Cacos is a gorgeous place. There will be two overflys of Cuban airspace.

You have my email and I will put a list together. We are looking at same time same place next year.

The island trip would be optional of course. I am willing to do the organizational aspects if there is some interest.

As to other locations, I have stayed on the Queen Mary and it sucks at best. Now the spruce goose has gone there is little left other than a bungie jumping ride next to the wharf.

I am open to any location but I would sooner pick some exotic location (mexico perhaps) rather than race to Xenia Ohio..... If you know where that is.

GMAS, been to SAC and other than Lake Tahoe I can't get very excited............... Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Bob
Unread 09-07-02, 08:08 PM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
GO WEST YOUNG MAN... GO WEST!

All of those fabulous places Bob mentions would be fine, but under the circumstances of George Bush's impending WWIII, uncertainty and volitility in fuel prices, security, safety, etc., I don't think it's a very good time to be planning a 'vacation' anytime soon.

The places Bob mentions are just great for a get-a-way when it's unrushed and there's plenty of time to be "ON" vacation. But for meetings concerning the Skymaster, to my way of thinking, we need to be meeting at a location for THAT purpose. The leisure vacation stuff can wait for another time more conducive to rest and relaxation.

My two cents. BTW, I voted for out here in the WEST.

SkyKing
Unread 09-07-02, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Let me add my 2-cents worth, from someone who flies the Caribbean often and has gone out West for a bit of mountain flying, all in a Skymaster.

My first comment is that I support a second trip to The Bahamas, as Bob has suggested, and TC (although some of us have been there) is a good location, in part because of Bob's contacts. Having said that, I think the Cayman Islands is WAY, WAY too ambitious. Pull out the map and you'll see why; aside from overflying Cuba (read: bureacratic hassles and some concerns if we're in the midst of war with Iraq) it's quite far away. Trust me, I was the one who dealt with many worried pilots about making the Palm Beach to TC hop, despite the fact that you were over Grand Bahama Island most of the time and the actual time over water was insignificant. Some of these guys were close to petrified.

I like the idea of going out to Eleuthera and further down to Turks and Caicos, and think we can put together a super trip where there are lots of friendly islands under our flight path and the actual over-water hops are small. And, Bob, I'm willing to help out.

Skyking's concerns about the time it might take and if I add a further factor, which is that the Bahamas is far for those who are not in the Southeast, suggests to me that an interesting alternative is to do some mountain flying in the Kentucky-Tennessee area. I spent 3 months or so learning about mountain flying before I went West (I flew along 12,000 ft peaks) and it was among the most exhilarating things I've done. Flying in the Appalachian mountains won't be that challenging, but the principles are the same. And for many people it would be a lot closer than the Bahamas. Food for thought.

Ernie
Unread 09-08-02, 05:49 AM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Jerry De Santis is on a distinguished road
Talking Nashville

Ernie, I agree with you. I think a lot more Skymasters will come to the meeting if it were easier for them to get to. Remember, all pilots are not retired or have deep pockets and it is many of those who could benifit from what is shared in the meeting to keep the planes flying. I suggest Nashville, Tn. and do so for the following reasons.

a, It is more central to a lot of Skymasters
b, Plenty of good hotels so one can be choosen close
to the airport at reasonable rates
c, Airport has all approaches, ILS, VOR, RNAV and yes, NDB.
d,Plenty of other activities that can be done.
e,Not TC weather but good weather most of the time.
f,N0 customs to deal with and that will make Larry happy.
g,Served by many airlines for those that plan to attend
without their aircraft. Remember, some planes may be
down for repair and yet those guys and gals may want to
attend and meet the crowd...that a good part of it.

If Nashville is selected, I help arrange the meet. Been there many times and for many it will be no more than about 3.5 hours to get to and the most coming from the west coast about 6 to 8 hours.

Jerry N34EC
Unread 09-08-02, 05:57 AM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Jerry De Santis is on a distinguished road
central

The vote selection shows North, East, south and West. There is however a lot of loctions that can be described as Central U.S. I suggest a central location and wonder what the vote count will be if Central was among the selection.

Jerry
Unread 09-08-02, 10:10 AM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
Re Bahamas

Perhaps Turks and Cacos is a little ambitious for the average pilot, however going to GC is not that big a deal.

1)The location must have some interest for the wives! I know mine demands it.

Spent lots of time at Boulder. How about Aspen in the spring or Vail for that matter. That is more interesting than DaytonOH.

I thought Mackinac Ils is a fantastic place if you want the north. There must be other activity and/or interest than a hotel room especially when the affair is 50% informal rather than going to a 3 day venture with RCI.

How about a resort in Arkansas or the country and western town in southern Kansas? forgot the name.

The Bahamas is the right time for those living in the East that have "cabin fever".

I have no preferences other than it is less work for me if you chose another spot.

I have provided my input and shall leave it to all to decide.

I am on my way to the Bahamas tomorrow riding the backside of a developing tropical depression. wheee. <G> I will have a Kalik for Don, and two for KEVEN. And GMAS... I wouldn't trade airconditioning for anything.

Bob
Unread 09-08-02, 10:35 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
I agree with Bob, my wife, my partner, wants something interesting to do if she is to accompany me. If this is going to be another boys weekend, where we leave the wives home, it will diminish attendance.

If you want it in Nashville, tell Owen Bell to arrange things. After all, he sells Skymaster products. He should be willing to open up his hangar, to hold meetings, and let the Skymasters park there.

However, I have never seen him contribute, personally, anything to the web site, unlike RTC, or Don Nieser. Owen has taken down his web site, and the closest thing to it that he has is the page Kevin put up for him.

Don Nieser has offered his facilities in Okie City, repeatedly. That would add 2 hours to my flight time, but entirely doable. Don, do they have a beach in Okie City? We could always tour the FAA facility
Unread 09-08-02, 12:51 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Annual meeting location (Please vote again)

Folks,

I have restarted the election, to add a few more choices. Please vote for the area you would like to have our annual meeting.

Also, many apologies Gmas, but I inadvertantly deleted your message that started this whole thread, and I cannot recover it. Perhaps you could add your comments again.

Thanks,

Kevin
Unread 09-08-02, 02:59 PM
George M. Amthor, Jr.

GMAs is on a distinguished road
Well.... why not both...

No... ya done well.... their boss...

but,... from what I am reading... is seems that its either a vacation or a learning school... kinda thing.. so what to do...

Ya I have to agreee that the wives and all don't want to sit thru a 4 or 5 hours mechanical thing.. but, then again you need that much time almost to cover one topic... and if we have it for two days... they are going to be getting tired sitting around the pool... which they could do at home... so its not too good for them...

And on the other hand... the guys who come want to learn about their plane... after all that is what they come for... right... so they are not interested in going to see the sights... they spent their money to come and be trained on how to... kinda things...

So what is the happy medium.... well that person who suggested the cruse trip.. is getting to sound better and better all the time.. after all the guys could go to a meeting room... ships have conferance rooms... and the gals can do activites on the ship... with the start of the PT and then work up to the pool and then... and then... while the guys are in doing their thing...

But, here is where it gets a little better... the cost and transportation... its actually cheeper than staying as some resort.. when you break it down... and besides you can go touring when they dock.. have party time at night and its all included while we are talking they are moving down the road to the next spot... Hmmmmm.... they have AC, food, drinks and all the rest right their...

Sure some are going to say.. well but, I wanda fly and be around airplanes... well you can fly to the airport their... and then get on the boat... but, its all taken care of for you so you can have the time to study and play...

I don't know... what is best... Mr. Whitimaker used to have his meetings right in the middle of the states... liberal KA... maybe that is what we should do too... of course Cessna is right their now too.. so you can take the tour of the plant and see how they are building new planes... just not ours.. of course.. but, they would be able to answer a lot more questions from the factory... kina thing.. and who knows if you hit them up they might see a point in building the old bird again... smile...

I do know that it does make more reason to have it move around.. that way its not a rut.. kinda thing... oh and the guy who suggested going on the napa valley tour... well drinking wine.. is a no .. no.. remember 8 hrs from bottle to throttle.. rule... so if we went their.. it would be a slow group... in the morning kinda thing...

Now one more person came in with the suggestion of New Mexico... and this during the balloon fest in October... ahhh a little too close to plan that...

But,....
It should be where it can be gotten to by everyone... and last time it was way east... which didn't allow much time for the west to travel and do much as they have to work too... so their are lots of places that are good... lots of .. as I say highlights in each state... canada and Mexico... but, the main reason I wanted to open this discussion is because it should give the others a chance to voice their oppinions...

by the way... I keep runing into skymaster owners who are on the internet... but, know nothing about the web... might want to print up a flyer and put it out at the airports or place it on a skymaster when you see one... and suggest that they check it out as a owners club...

Kevin.. maybe we could have a "Welcome to the Web ... kinda thing... for skymasters.. that they could print out on their printers and take to the airport with them... with the address and info about who and what we are... sorta thing...

Ok.. I have to vote now... lets see... GMAs
Unread 09-08-02, 06:11 PM
Web Master

Contact

I had a modicom of success, sending a flyer for the last meeting. If we settle on a place and date, I think that is an effective way of letting people know about it, and cluing them into the existence of the website.

To be truly effective, though, this has to be done with more time than for the last one.
Unread 09-08-02, 10:27 PM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Kevin,
this seems like a great way to spread the word.

Kevin.. maybe we could have a "Welcome to the Web ... kinda thing... for skymasters.. that they could print out on their printers and take to the airport with them... with the address and info about who and what we are... sorta thing...GMAs....

I have my finger on the printer trigger. Guy, old72driver....
Unread 09-09-02, 10:22 AM

Ed Coffman is an unknown quantity at this point
Meeting location

Gentlemen and Gentlewomen,

Regarding the location of a fly-in. This is the same "do it near me so I don't have to go very far" stuff that everyone was spouting last year. Then, finally Bob, Ernie, and Larry had the cojones to just go ahead and host one. It was the most successful skymaster fly-in since the inception of this or the other board (UNO).

Suggestion: if some one is willing to take the time and the effort to host a fly-in.(and Bob, et. al. and GMAS did a lot of work) Have it where they want it. Come or don't come. But, unless you are willing to work at arranging a date and location, do you really think you should volunteer some one else to do the work? Perhaps, regional fly-ins are a solution until we develop strong enough ties to warrant a national meeting

Kudos to Bob, Ernie, and Larry. If you have another one (and I hope you will),
I will do my best to come where ever it is. Thanks

Ed Coffman

Last edited by Ed Coffman : 09-09-02 at 09:40 PM.
Unread 09-09-02, 11:58 PM

Don Hickman is an unknown quantity at this point
Yep, I agree with Ed. Of course, I voted for Mexico but if Bob, Ernie and the rest will organize it like they did last May, I'll go to the Bahamas again.
Unread 09-10-02, 03:24 PM
Web Master

VOTE

In the words of Mayor Daly, Vote, and Vote Often. I notice that 18 people have voted, and at last count, there were 130 people registered for this message board. That means a lot of people don't care and won't show up, or there is general apathy. Either one is not good.

So KEVIN, can you put a note up to PLEASE VOTE!!, so that we can get a feel for what people want.

Thanks
g
Unread 09-10-02, 04:41 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Larry, I think you just put up such a note ;-). Anyway, I will mod the front page of site to remind folks if you like, but am on the road (in Denver) this week, so I will not be able to do it until Sunday.

Cheers,

Kevin
Closed Thread