Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 03-24-12, 10:40 PM

kdiel11 is on a distinguished road
N2334S Gear up landing in Dothan, AL

Just wanted to let you guys know that my MEI friend and I had to perform a gear up landing at DHN this afternoon. We could never get the landing gear to extend. It would only open up the gear door and let the gear flop out. When we tried pumping them down, we met with loads of resistance on the handle. My take on it was that one of the hydroelectrical valves for the power pack would not open to energize the lander gear hydraulic actuators. We tried for over an hour to get it to work. Don't know how many gyrations of master switch and landing gear handle combination we did trying to get it to come out. At one point my friend said he felt the gear even make contact with the forward structure when he did a positive g maneuver but they failed to latch (if they can even do that without hydraulic or emergency power). So we traveled over to DHN did a couple of flybys to get everything straight on where they wanted us to land and then came in on the back engine and put it down at around 55 mph. We might have been a bit vertical at the end, slid for about 200 feet on the sod next to the runway without further incident (if that wasn't enough). My friend pulled the rear engine off line just before impact but it still bent the last 6 inches of both blades on back. So that engine will still have to be torn down and a sudden stoppage inspection completed on it. Frankly, I don't know if I will return it to flying status. I have no problems going back out to fly, just don't know how much it is going to cost. If you dont recall, I fly without insurance on the plane. Please......no I told you so's right now! So I may end up just parting her out. More to follow on that point. Can anyone give anyother advice on what we could have done while airborne? KD