Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-23-10, 10:29 AM

SteveG is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi All,

Sandi & I are planning to attend Sn'F again this year although it's always subject to the uncertainty of work, weather, etc. We usually come in the day before the show starts, sometimes two, which in this case would be Monday or possibly Sunday. In previous years we have always camped in GAC. Its proximity to the runway provides a good view of arriving/departing aircraft and the afternoon airshow from the comfort of your campsite along with reasonable access to showers, ice, potable water, etc. The drawback is that in years when a military demonstration team is in the show the campsite lies within the show box and the FAA insists that it be evacuated during their performance. For that reason, and to be closer to any SOAPA aircraft staying in ONC, I am considering moving to VAC this year. The problem with ONC is that it is much further from show central and from camping amenities. Additionally, it is unclear to me if the weeklong camping & admission package price applies to ONC or if the $25/night + admission is the only available ticket. If the latter, this would increase costs by another $100 or so. Getting together in Daytona sounds like fun but my present thinking is to decline the invitation in favor of arriving earlier in the week. Good luck with a group arrival on Tuesday. My bet is that it cannot be safely accomplished. Invariably someone will cut you off in the arrival sequence and disrupt your best laid plans. Well, that's my story for now but subject to revisions as they may become necessary or expedient. Hope to see y'all in a few weeks.
Unread 03-24-10, 04:36 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Those wanting to Camp at Sun 'N Fun, I am :-), should be able to pay the $100 weekly fee in the ONC area that we will be parked in. If you are not camping then you do not have to pay anything but can still park in the same place with the rest of the Skymasters. We will be parked either East or West of the VOR. Take a look at the airport layout (KLAL) to see where the VOR lies. It should be a good spot for the airshow. I have attached an aerial photo of the field during SNF last year and you can see where we will be.

We can also use a grill for the brats on Wednesday night for the SOAPA gathering. Ed Kalis from Michigan is going to be camping in his motorhome and will have a grill for us to use Wednesday night. Should work out good and a nice time together.

Folks, this is our SOAPA meeting for 2010 so come on down and join us.

I was looking online at Allegiant Air web site http://www.allegiantair.com/ and they have one way tickets to St. Pete / Clearwater airport for $59 during Sun 'N Fun week. I don't know if they are around your area but that is cheap. It's about a one hour drive to Lakeland from the St Pete airport. Not a bad way to join us.

If you are planning to join us sometime during the week please let me know so that we can have a place for you to park with us.

Thanks all,

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years

Last edited by hharney : 03-24-10 at 10:26 PM.
Unread 03-29-10, 11:04 AM

rmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
going

Quote:
Originally Posted by hharney View Post
We have received a total of 2 registrations for SOAPA Fly-in. I need to give the folks at Sun 'N Fun a head count for our Tuesday arrival.

IS ANYONE ELSE PLANNING TO ATTEND?

IS ANYONE PLANNING TO MEET AT LAKELAND ON ANOTHER DAY OTHER THAN TUESDAY?

DO YOU WANT TO PARK WITH THE SKYMASTER'S?

WHAT DAY WILL YOU BE ARRIVING?

Thanks
Herb,
I'm in the same boat as others...plans still in flux. But at this point, looking to jojn you all at EVB on Monday and then fly-in together. Probably park with others, but unlikely on the camping part. Quick question on EVB - where is everyone staying on that Mon night?
________
Ford Sunliner Specifications

Last edited by rmorris : 03-12-11 at 12:06 PM.
Unread 03-29-10, 11:29 PM
Forum Administrator

SOAPA Hotel Monday Night

Sorry about the late posting of the hotel in New Smyrna Beach (EVB), details below.

See ya'll Monday

From Paul Rooy,

Seascape Inn
2601 S. Atlantic Ave.
Daytona Beach Shores
(800)368-3224
(386)767-7760
Manager: Debbie.

www.theseascapeinn.com

Highlights: On the beach, heated pool overlooking the beach, complementary buffet breakfast, rooms are $75 and $85, depending on whether you want a kitchen or not.

Unread 04-03-10, 03:19 AM

Alfonso is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Going to SOAPA Fly-in EVB & LAL

Looking forward to joing you all. Best regards, Alfonso.
Unread 04-15-10, 02:32 PM

Cole5Oh5 is on a distinguished road
report??

It's Wednesday, and is it still Sunny, and are you having Fun?
Unread 04-16-10, 08:41 PM
Forum Administrator

Finally the Report

Ok, sorry the internet service has not been the greatest. No excuse Right? Well this year Sun 'N Fun should have been called Sun 'N Wind. It has been unreal! 20-25 kts in the afternoon. The airshow folks have been very challenged with the wind. The good thing was it was out of the East and pretty much right down the runway. But we parked in the middle of a huge area by the VOR and no chance to get out of the wind.

This show is great. Many of you have been here but I'm a newby to this event. We had a total of 6 Skymasters, a 182 and a motorhome. We had a wonderful time. Everything came together really well with the reception, BBQ, meeting and presentation by Air Journey. The SOAPA folks that are here have had fun. It's been great to meet some new people and visit. We discussed the SID's at the meeting and that helped to clear up some of the confusion about the new inspections. The real positive thing that has come out of the proposed SID's is that I feel it will make us more aware of inspections on our aircraft when doing annuals and pre-flight inspections. We have a new 2011 committee and a list of potential destinations to meet next year. More to come on that later.

The attendance overall is down a little from previous years, so I am told. But to be expected with the economy. Today there was about another 30 or 40% more airplanes that arrived. Weekend coming so that makes sense.

We are watching the night airshow right now. Pretty cool, shooting fireworks from airplanes.

Here are some photos to get started with the rest of the report. That's Robert Morris getting a ride in the Sea Rey at the Splash In
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SOAPA at the Sunset Grill.jpg
Views:	1052
Size:	348.5 KB
ID:	1086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rides in the Sea Rey.jpg
Views:	977
Size:	361.8 KB
ID:	1087   Click image for larger version

Name:	T Birds.jpg
Views:	955
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	1088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Campsite Breakfast.jpg
Views:	957
Size:	352.9 KB
ID:	1089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Campsite BBQ.jpg
Views:	946
Size:	332.1 KB
ID:	1090  

Last edited by hharney : 04-16-10 at 09:29 PM.
Unread 04-16-10, 10:08 PM

rmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
Sea Rey

That ride over at the slpash in was a hoot. Now I need to buy (and build) the Sea Rey for my getting around the ponds plane, but keep the Skymaster for the long haul stuff.

Really enjoyed meeting everyone (including Sunny Skies from UK/France) over the past few days.

We leave Sunday, so if you haven't stopped by to say hi - do so before that time. We are by Herb's 'best of show' plane, ours is the one close to the runway that makes his look so good.

-Robert Morris
________
Chrysler Newport Specifications

Last edited by rmorris : 03-12-11 at 12:06 PM.
Unread 04-18-10, 01:34 PM

SteveG is an unknown quantity at this point
A few Sn'F images attached. If you wern't there, a taste of what you missed; if you were there, a reminder of the sun and fun enjoyed by all. It was my pleasure to make some new aquaintenances and renew some old ones. My last hundred miles into home base were through persistent snow showers, what a bummer after a week of sunny & 80. Safe travels to all on your way home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0021.JPG
Views:	1029
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	1093   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0035.JPG
Views:	1006
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	1094   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0044.JPG
Views:	975
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	1095   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0073.1.jpg
Views:	954
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1096   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0081.JPG
Views:	981
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	1097  

Unread 04-18-10, 03:49 PM

stackj is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to stackj
Wow. Sorry we missed you guys! Jenny and I arrived with our Coast Guard contigent on Monday and left on Thursday. We saw about three Skymasters parked together as we were taxiing out, but did not get opportunity to look around too much for them while we were there.

Sounds like you guys had fun. I'm sorry we missed you.
Unread 05-04-10, 03:27 PM
Forum Administrator

SOAPA Sun 'N Fun Video

Here it is, the SOAPA 2010 video. If you have photos or footage of the SOAPA event in Lakeland you can send them to me and I will produce another video.

http://www.youtube.com/user/roughsurface

Many other Skymaster videos on my channel. SOAPA 2007, 2008 and Airventure 2009 plus some Michigan Flyers stuff. Also Skymaster History and Thanks for our Skymaster photo montage.

Enjoy.

Unread 05-17-10, 08:32 PM

Paul462 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile SOAPA 2010 Fly-In.

Herb - Great job with the video - I'm sorry now we didn't stay for the Friday night air show! The video you did is great - good music choice, and nice interspersion of still & video photography! Thanks for doing it!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: