Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 01-21-10, 09:52 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Portable GPS mount

How do you mount your portable GPS?

Factory mount on the yoke?

Aftermarket mount secured with hardware or suction?

Gizmo in the panel?

I have a 496 using the Garmin factory supplied mount on the yoke. I have looked at several different mounts but there are so many I thought before I try something I would see if anyone else has explored this. I just don't really like the cords where they have to move with the yoke and there is some restriction to using the yoke based on the space that the unit takes.

Check out the GF1

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...forcemount.php

Thanks

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years

Last edited by hharney : 01-21-10 at 09:56 PM.
Unread 01-22-10, 01:25 PM

wfreestone is on a distinguished road
I can stongly recommend the G-Force mount (which allows the GPS to be in or near your normal instrument scan area); or, since you own your aircraft, a panel docking station for the Garmin GPS (which may or may not put it in or near your normal instrument scan).

As a pilot who rents aircraft, I have a G-Force mount (GF-1) which I use with a Garmin 396 and mount the 396 on the left side of the windscreen to position the 396 at the left upper of the instrument panel, so it is easily in/near my normal instrument panel scan.
I place the 396 hocky puck XM antenna at the farthest forward front edge of the windshield and use the 396 stick antenna (do not use a remote GPS antenna). I have never had any problem with GPS or XM Weather reception. I have never had the G-Force mount come loose or fall off the windshield (even with turbulence).

Bill
Unread 01-22-10, 02:02 PM

JeffAxel is an unknown quantity at this point
Herb,
I have always used a yoke mount, just easier to see for me and doesn't block any other instrument. Also easy to reach and use, especially in turbulence since you can brace your hands on the yoke itself. I am a lefty, so mounting in the center or on a console won't work for me. Just my .02......
Unread 01-22-10, 03:21 PM

rick bell is an unknown quantity at this point
they make one that is a pedestal and the base attaches to the co-pilot seat rails. the gps attachment is just like a knee-pad and sits between the seats. i used one for years and is
great. can't remember what the cost is maybe 125.00 +- (but worth it), gave mine away after gps was panel mounted
Unread 01-23-10, 11:04 PM

Roger is an unknown quantity at this point
I made my own bracket which I velcro to the top of the glare shield. I used the clip from the yoke mount that came with the GPS to attach to my bracket. I also made a bracket to move my compass off the glare shield, and it hangs from the OAT. Permanent antenna installed on the roof, with wire running up through the trim on the windshild center. You can see a pic of it from the front on the post of my metal panel. If you need better pics let me know .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	208.JPG
Views:	974
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	1032   Click image for larger version

Name:	205.JPG
Views:	971
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	1033   Click image for larger version

Name:	207.JPG
Views:	998
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	1034  
Unread 01-24-10, 11:49 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Pictures

Can you resize the pictures, please.
When I went to check my email today I got a note saying the message board was running out of space. I couldn't figure out what happened, until I saw this post. Each of your pictures is almost 2 MB. On the other thread, you have another 2 MB picture.

Thank You.
Unread 01-24-10, 01:04 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the responses. No room on the panel for the 496 so that was why I questioned the options. I might try the G-Force and see if it works on the pilot side. The other option I am looking at is mounting a Air Gizmo on the co-pilot side to shift the 496 to that side when desired. I think I have room just above the glove box where an old DME was. I would be able to give the co-pilot there own nav when needed. If I am flying and using it on my side then use the standard mount or a G-Force.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 01-28-10, 12:22 AM

aldoradave is on a distinguished road
gps mount

I have a stock Garmin 696 with its factory mount and it works perfectly on the yoke of my 73 P337.

Dave Dillehay N84E