Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
Unread 01-20-05, 08:34 PM

O2-A Kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Nick, It's 2.29 PM here lovely afternoon at 28 Deg C and Blue Skies. I’m working in front of a computer.... Go figure.
Hey all great points there. I hope I don’t have to worry about the belly box floating us in the ditch situation! My father in-law has had one of his 337s ditched coming across to here (NZ) from the US and was not a nice story. Pilot did survive though to ditch another aircraft last year on the same run!! He should retire!

We also learned later he was running a little pocket money run on top of the delivery and trying to carry some Mustang P51 parts in with him! Bad maths.

Cheers

Hamish
Unread 01-20-05, 10:28 PM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Jerry De Santis is on a distinguished road
climb rate

I have a P337G 1975 model with TSIO-360-CB engines, turbo charged and inter-cooled. Single engine climb rate at sea level is 360 fpm. Yes, it will do it.

Jerry
N34EC
Unread 01-20-05, 10:34 PM

O2-A Kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point
WOW,
Thanks Jerry. Who did these mods or were they an option?
Unread 01-21-05, 07:13 AM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

mods

TSIO=360-CB engines with turbo chargers are standard on the 1975 P337G.

Inter-coolers are Riley. Also, the plane has the main gear doors removal kit.

When you look at Skymasters, the model year and if the plane is normal asp. or turbo charged is important on performance. Let's talk some book numbers.

I had a 1972 337F normal asp. aircraft. Loved that plane, could carry a load. According to the POH, with single engine with the front engine operating, it will hold about 5,000 feet. Single engine with the rear engine operating, it will hold 7,200 feet.

Front engine operating single engine climb was about 260 FPM however, when gear is being tucked away, climb becomes slightly negative. With rear engine operating in single engine configuration, climb rate was slightly postive.

The POH on my 1975 P337G dipicts either engine climb is 360 FPM and either engine will hold 18,500 feet. The book says that,--not sure if plane will actual do it. I have however done the 360 Plus climb in single engine training.

BTW, in that training, flying below blue line speed, 100 MPH, loss an engine and you can't climb. Have to put plane in nose down configuation to gain air speed above blue line so you can enter climb phase.

Jerry
Unread 01-21-05, 09:06 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Re: single engine service ceiling in a P model

I have tested it, it will do it. Was as a result of another thread on this board, I went out to find out, because someone said they could not maintain 13,000. With properly maintained turbo/exhaust system, and a tight cabin, it will maintain 18K on one engine.

Kevin
Unread 01-21-05, 09:27 AM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

One engine alt.

Thanks Kevin, It's good to know that the book numbers are okay.
I've lost engines before and flew on one engine but in those cases I was below 9,000 feet.
Cheers
Jerry
Unread 01-21-05, 11:02 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
It just occurred to me that the only real failure I have ever had was at 15,000 with just me and 1/2 fuel. I secured the engine and motored on to my destination (about 150 miles over mountains, no suitable field in between) with no undue effort.

Kevin
Unread 01-23-05, 10:59 AM

KyleTownsend is an unknown quantity at this point
Among ALLl common pressurized twins (including the p-baron, duke, 340, 414, 421), the P-Skymaster has the best published single engine rate of climb, and comes in at 2nd place on single engine service ceiling.

I recently did some engine out work in the skymaster. Instructor pulled the rear engine just after takeoff. Climbed at about 200 FPM with the gear hanging out, and improved after I cleaned things up. A little scary to be climbing so slowly that close to the trees, but I can only imagine what it would have been like if I had been sinking instead of climbing!

Also, did a single engine-go around while practicing. No problem.

My p-model is stock. I am tempted by the gear-door mod, but haven't done it yet.
Unread 01-24-05, 06:35 PM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Door removal

Hi Kyle, I have the gear door removal mod on my P337G. Lots of good reasons to have it but one big reason not to have it. Depends on what's important to you. The only thing I don't like about it is that every single drop of oil that comes off the front engine seems to find it's way into the wheel well. Real pain at times. Great thing about them, I no long fuss with door adjustments and less work for the hydraulic unit.

Jerry
N34EC