Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 01-23-05, 11:10 AM

KyleTownsend is an unknown quantity at this point
The TRUTH about Micro-VG's

Everything I have read about Micro-VG's seems pretty favorable. However, the degree to which they enhance performance seems to vary considerably from one aircraft type to another. Of those who have actually done the mod on a skymaster,

1. How much did it lower stall speed?

2. How much did it increase all-engine rate of climb?

3. How much did it increase single-engine rate of climb?

4. Any down-sides?
Unread 01-23-05, 12:03 PM
Peyton

Peyton is an unknown quantity at this point
Kyle - I installed Micro-Aero VG's on my 1967 model about 18 months ago. Installation took about 15 hours working alone but was simple enough. The kit is very complete and well documented. The installtion will have to be signed off by your mechanic. Micr-Aero sends spares but 18 months later and I have not had one vg come off.

Answers to your questions:

1. Stall speeds were reduced about 5 to 10% depending upon aircraft configuration.

2. All engine climb increased 10 to 15%. Of even more interest as it applies to effiencies and cost of flying....there is a sweet spot between 125 and 135 mph where the rate of climb goes back up to the same rates as at 110 mph....interesting huh?

3. I haven't tested engine out and feathered climb rate but with power at idle on one engine there is some improvement in climb rate.

4. I have found no negatives after flying with the VG's for over a year and several other positives:
a. The handling and response rates in all regimes is tremendously improved.
b. The slow speed handling is unbelieveable. Practicing slow turns about a point at 60 degrees plus of bank feel like 45 degree turns ( actually easier).
c. Controllability at slow/short field landing speeds is significantly improved.
d. Cross wind handling is much better.

I could go on and on but I sound like an ad for Micro-Aero. I will close by saying that the tremendous improvement in handling make them a great addition to my Skymaster, I wouldn't consider not having them today. In fact I just bought a Cherokee Six and spent the first weekend with it in my hanger installing VG's! They are easily the best value per dollar spent that I have invested in 2PM in the 25 years that I have owned her.

I did a presentation about my installation at last years SOAPA meeting. Come to this years meeting in Key West in May. We can discuss this in detail and you can see the installation or even go flying with me in 2PM