Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-25-16, 05:30 PM

rmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
new props for everyone !

Like the Oprah show...you get a prop, and you get a prop, and you get a prop...

Only in this version, you pay for your own, and you pay for your own, and you....

Here's a thought...always easier to buy things as a group than as an individual. Also easier to buy things at Sun N Fun and OSH, than other times.

Sun N Fun (SNF) is coming up soon. I plan to go, anyone else going?

Here's my thoughts:
I am leaning heavily towards swapping out my props for the MT Propeller 3-bladed ones, like what Herb has on his plane. If anyone else is leaning that way, I am thinking we reach out as a group ahead of SNF, and ask for a nice discount (even larger than they would normally offer at the show). Heck I would even be willing to make the swap during the show on my plane.
Will this work at all? Who knows, but worth a try...anyone else interested in new props?
email me at rmorris@agsi.us

on a related note - if anyone else is making any major purchase, and interested in seeing if others want similar stuff on their plane, post it here as a separate thread to see if you can also get a group interested.
Unread 04-19-16, 08:16 AM

prop updates

243 views on this thread and no comments. I guess everyone is happy with their current props?

I visited both hartzell and MT-Props at Sun N Fun.

MT props summary:
they only had a 5% show special, and said you have to do both props..by the time you end up buying the props from the, having them shipped to one of 'their' prop shops to be assembled and then pay your a&p to install, you are close to $30K all-in

Hartzell summary:
they do not currently have a prop, 2 or 3 blade, to work on our type. But said Skymaster is the top of their list. They have props that would likely work, just need a STC. Indicated that if they had interest from 10 people, they would move forward. Said the 10 people do not have to give any money, just show genuine interest. their estimates is that it would be 20-25K all-in
Unread 04-19-16, 10:23 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
The MT STC requires both front and rear must be purchased at the same time. Maybe you should approach them with the idea of amending the STC so that just one engine could be re-propped at a time. I know that this would bring them more business as most folks don't do both engines at the same time and typically at engine change or overhaul is when the props are done. The original STC is from Coastal Planes LLC but I think MT may own the STC now. Aviation Enterprises (Owen Bell & Co) have their own STC for the Continental 550 engine set up so they can do one engine at a time. Something to at least explore and maybe get MT interested in. If the time came that this would happen I would suggest adding the Blended Airfoil design to the STC. Much better blade efficiency.

When Riley developed the Super Skyrocket conversion the STC calls out the TSIO-520 Continental and a Hartzell 3 blade prop. So knowing this Hartzell does have history with the airframe just not the 360 engine in the Skymaster. The engine was used in several other models like the Hawk XP, Cutlass, Seneca and Maule to just name a few.

Robert, What about McCauley? Did you happen to talk to them?

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 05-18-16, 01:34 PM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point
Abq

RMORRIS, was that you flying out of ABQ today?
Unread 05-29-16, 04:57 AM

hew is on a distinguished road
Exclamation MT Props

They look good & sound great BUT be careful. Stone damage to the SS leading edge can't be filed out. The biggest thing to watch for is the calendar life between overhaul. In many cases it's only 5 years not 12 like most metal props. I had one overhauled recently, new SS leading edges and within the first 50 hrs it threw one off! (not on a 337)
Unread 06-19-16, 11:53 AM

yep, it was me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymaster337B View Post
RMORRIS, was that you flying out of ABQ today?
sorry for delay responding...didn't see your post until today.

Yep, that was me. I fly in/out of ABQ (and AEG) fairly frequently to visit family - was raised in the area (went to Rio Grande), so lots of relatives and friends still local.
Unread 06-19-16, 09:35 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hew View Post
The biggest thing to watch for is the calendar life between overhaul. In many cases it's only 5 years not 12 like most metal props. (not on a 337)
The MT props for the Skymaster have a suggested 6 year OVH life. It's not mandatory in the USA but suggested. I have never heard of a 12 year life on standard prop, it is normally 5 years suggested.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 06-21-16, 01:54 PM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorris View Post
sorry for delay responding...didn't see your post until today.

Yep, that was me. I fly in/out of ABQ (and AEG) fairly frequently to visit family - was raised in the area (went to Rio Grande), so lots of relatives and friends still local.
How was the weather departing ABQ? We don't usually have clouds here, but that day I saw you disappear into the weather. Just curious about the icing level. Believe me, I had envy in my eyes.....it was nice to see it.
Unread 07-25-16, 05:35 PM

Oshkosh

Bumping thread...here at Osh....anyone interested in props ?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: