Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-26-10, 10:54 AM

rmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
prop control cable and hydraulic hoses

I have a front prop control cable that is starting to get more difficult to move. they have soaked it in penetrating oil, and it works fine for a few flights, but then starts to get sticky again. Time to replace it. Have heard that maybe you should replace all 3 cables (prop,mixture,throttle) at the same time, versus just replacing one by itself. Cost of these cables is a little high for the Cessna parts. I talked with Macfarlane, and they said they can make a cable, but don't have an STC for a Skymaster - so it would be a 337 (no pun intended0 install. They require me to send them the cable, or the specs and then they would make it under the owner designed and fabricated parts part of the regs. Obviously i can go out and find some used cables, versus Cessna new - but seems odd to replace one set of old cables on my plane with a used set from a salvage plane.

Has anyone else replaced one or more of these cables recently? Any experience you can share (where to source, did you do all 3, time it took labor wise, etc)?

-robert
rmorris@agsi.us
________
Colorado medical marijuana

Last edited by rmorris : 03-12-11 at 12:07 PM.
Unread 08-28-10, 07:31 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Comparatively, front vs. rear, the front is fairly easy. I am replacing the 3 rear cables in the next several months. Once you have the entire floor out and have to place one cable for the rear, it only makes sense to replace them all. The labor alone is high and it won't take any more time to do 3 as it would 1. If I were doing the front I might opt for just the cables that might be questionable.

For cables, I have not looked yet but I will start that process and share what I learn.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 09-25-10, 02:57 AM

rhurt is on a distinguished road
control cables

Owen Bell has a PMA to make control cables. Aviationenterprises.us
Unread 09-25-10, 02:37 PM
Tony

Don't even consider used cables. They're not that expensive and they are not that big of a deal to change. New cables cost around 250 dollars a piece.
Unread 02-11-11, 11:11 PM
Forum Administrator

Engine Control Cables

After having the original engine control cable on the rear throttle freeze up, while on the ramp, I decided it was time to replace these 43 year old parts. Larry and I had a great time removing the engine control cables, under the supervision of Griswold Aviation. I was installing a JPI engine analyzer that required access to run 14 lines to each engine. With the floor open to achieve access to the rear engine I thought this would be a great time to replace the engine control cables. After removing the rear 3 control cables from the engine and the quadrant Larry suggested that I replace the front also. Because we already had the quadrant all apart and open it made sense to do the front. Larry had a really good idea especially because I was buying the cables :-)

So now I had to decide where to purchase these cables. I was told that Mcfarlane was the best place to buy them. OK, send in the old cables and have them make new ones based on the old cables. Well, maybe not that easy. The vendor called and said that the old cables were not really made correctly. Now I know that these are the original cables for this airplane. I have owned it for 35 years and it only had 300 hours on it when we purchased it. So according to Mcfarlane I have been flying for 35 years with control cables that were made incorrectly. Maybe that is why the rear throttle froze up on the ramp? During the conversation with Mcfarlane they indicated that the threaded rod attached to the cable was able to go beyond the mounting tube and that they could not send out cable that did this because they could hang up and stick. I agreed that I did not want the cable to hang up or any chance of that. Mcfarlane said that the original old cable I sent them had over 4 inches of movement and they wanted to check to see how much actual throw the levers had on the engine. I measured the distance from full on to full off and it was about 2.5 inches. That was great so they made the cable to accommodate this distance plus some for adjustment.

When the new cable arrived they looked great. I was really happy with the workmanship. Now came the pain staking chore to install. I tackled the front first, then Larry came up to help with the rear. Ok, cables in, and now waiting for Griswold to adjust and set the levers up. Well the front cables were all set up and good but the rear cables would not set up correctly. We checked and looked but there was not enough travel fore and aft to achieve proper adjustment. We tried everything; no good. Griswold called Mcfarlane and they said that they thought they know what happened and we needed to send the cables back. They would take care of the freight and turn them around very quickly. OH, MY ACHING BACK. I have to remove the new cables that I just installed and I had already installed most of the interior. I all had to come back out.

I told Griswold that he had better try and get some compensation out of Mcfarlane for their mistake. He tried but they don't pay for labor. In fact they said that they don't pay for expediting items, only ground transportation costs. Now it's really looking bleak. After learning that Mcfarlane had called Griswold twice today to ask questions it occurred to me that they really didn't know what had happened and I got really concerned about the cables they were retrofitting. I decided to call and talk to the shop at Mcfarlane and the tech told me that they do lots of 337's but wasn't sure if they all had engines in the rear or some had engines on the wings. After realizing he had no idea what kind of a plane I was working on I asked to talk to the owner.

Dave (owner) said that they could warranty any cable that were not certified and that they do the best they can without having the plane there to see or work with. I said that I had sent my old cables in so that they had an example but he said that someone must have put the wrong cables in my plane or that I was missing the lever extensions that are on the components sometimes. I tried to tell him the problem was the mount tube they made were too long and did not allow enough travel. I measured the old cables they sent back to the new ones. Simple, the mount tube was too long. He went on and on about how the original ones were wrong ( I only used them for 35 years) and that he couldn't do any better than that without seeing the airplane. They claim to have made lots of Skymaster cables and never had a problem.

After asking a few other questions about how they were going to correct it all of a sudden he said, GO BUY YOUR CABLES SOMEWHERE ELSE! I was in shock, I didn't know what to say. I didn't want to buy other cables I really wanted the ones they had built to be done right. Well long story short he hung up on me. Now, I'm a pretty easy going guy and I am still not sure what happened here but now I am having to go purchase the rear cables somewhere else. Fortunately I call Don Neiser at Commodore and he had them in stock. I should have just went there in the first place. But I was told that Mcfarlane has the best materials and good service. I won't be going back and Griswold is not happy with the whole situation.

I know that a few of you folks were contemplating cable changes this year so here is my advice; Call Don Neiser at Commodore Aero. Save yourself some trouble.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Control Cables new.jpg
Views:	1341
Size:	340.0 KB
ID:	1188   Click image for larger version

Name:	Control Cables.jpg
Views:	1374
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	1189   Click image for larger version

Name:	Control Cables floor.jpg
Views:	1409
Size:	405.1 KB
ID:	1190  

Unread 02-12-11, 04:12 PM

K337A is on a distinguished road
I had a similar situation with McFarland. I very quickly realized I was dealing with a company that has a definitive "Your lucky we sell this product to you. Now bend over". I guess they have had a little "sensitivity training" since my encounter. I thought Neiser's cables had different size end fittings compared to the civilian cables?
Unread 02-12-11, 08:01 PM
Forum Administrator

The cables from Don have 0.25 threaded ends because they are made for the 02.

Unread 02-23-11, 10:12 PM
Forum Administrator

The 0-2 cables would not work for my aircraft unless I rebuilt the mount on the engine and quadrant. I decided not to modify.

I bought cables from Cessna and they are almost exactly like my originals. The worked fine and mounted up with the right sizes and all. Looks like the travel will be just fine for the engine components.

Got them for $360 each. Should have an engine start and test run tomorrow.

Unread 03-09-11, 11:44 AM

Don Nieser is on a distinguished road
Front Engine Control Cables

The front engine control cables for throttle, mixture and prop are the same for 337's and 0-2's. The rear engine control cables are different for the 337's and 0-2's. Here are the part numbers and applicability:
- Front throttle - S1391-9, alt 148-001-9, alt S2154-1 (all aircraft). S2154-1 (P337)
- Front mixture - S1391-8, alt 148-001-8, alt S2154-3 (all aircraft). S2154-3 (P337)
- Front prop - S1391-7, alt 148-001-7, alt S2154-2 (all aircraft). S2154-2 (P337)
We have p/n S1391/148-001 in stock new surplus condition for $225 ea. Cessna's price is about $350 ea. We do not have new rear engine controls for the 337's p/n S1391-17 but we do have new surplus rear ones for all the 0-2 aircraft p/n 410M-3.00-15-8 alt C80056-1 for $295 ea. These controls for the 0-2 rear engine are much stronger than the ones for the 337's but they have 1/4 inch ends.
Please contact us anytime for all you parts needs:
Don Nieser (02/337 Parts Guy)
Commodore Aerospace Corp
405-503-4686 cell
405-722-4079 phone and FAX
nieser.02.337parts@juno.com
www.02337parts.com

Last edited by Don Nieser : 03-09-11 at 11:51 AM.
Unread 06-11-18, 10:55 AM

kilr4d is on a distinguished road
Bump for Gord Tessier. I suggest you reach out to Don.
CNC3
Unread 06-11-18, 01:26 PM

Don Nieser is on a distinguished road
Prop control cables

This is an update to my 2011 post.
I now have new Cessna surplus front engine control cables for prop, mixture and throttle and New Cessna rear engine control cables. My prices are always less than anyone else and you can return anything you get from us without question.
I recommend that during installation of these cables that you add fire sleeve material around the cables where they are close to the exhaust pipes to prevent the coating from being burned off.
Call or e-mail me for all your 337 and 0-2 parts and equipment, Don Nieser, nieser.02.337parts@juno.com, Commodore Aerospace Corp, 405-503-4686
Unread 06-11-18, 01:28 PM

kilr4d is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Nieser View Post
This is an update to my 2011 post.
I now have new Cessna surplus front engine control cables for prop, mixture and throttle and New Cessna rear engine control cables. My prices are always less than anyone else and you can return anything you get from us without question.
I recommend that during installation of these cables that you add fire sleeve material around the cables where they are close to the exhaust pipes to prevent the coating from being burned off.
Call or e-mail me for all your 337 and 0-2 parts and equipment, Don Nieser, nieser.02.337parts@juno.com, Commodore Aerospace Corp, 405-503-4686
Thanks Don!

I'll add this to the other thread.
CNC3

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: