Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 11-23-13, 05:37 PM

Pearman1961 is on a distinguished road
Air/Oil Separator

I am relatively new to this Skymaster Forum. I am looking for info on an approved air/oil separator for the front engine of a 1967B model.

On a related note, I tried to use the search function and entered " stc air/oil separator" I got a message that said;
The search term you specified (stc) is under the minimum word length (4) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer.

Any tips?
Unread 11-23-13, 06:23 PM

walt is an unknown quantity at this point
air/oil seperator

I have used AIR WOLF on two 336 and was very pleased
Unread 11-23-13, 09:45 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Try using the simplest term for search items. 3 letter words don't work so just use "separator" and you should see some related posts. Sometimes words get misspelled so try several attempts; like seperator, separetor etc

I always thought that maybe the oil separator might be a good idea because cleaning the belly and the tail is such a chore. But then I found out that I was just keeping the oil level too full. Dad use to keep it at 8 qts and add a 9th for long trips. I wore the paint off the belly cleaning it for him. My attempt was keep it at 7 qts and maybe add an 8th if needed but still flying a greaser. So now I let the engine go to equilibrium, about 6 1/2 or so and the belly is sparkling clean and I don't add any oil between 50 hour oil changes (well maybe 1 qt at best).

Where do you keep your oil level?

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 11-25-13, 11:15 PM

Pearman1961 is on a distinguished road
Air/oil separator

Herb, a long answer to your question, Where do you keep your oil level?
Due to some sloppy and unclear etchings on the dipstick I chose to do my first oil change at 25 hours. It was indicating 5 1/2 on the back and 6 on the front. The second oil change was at annual, another 50 hours later. We drained and measured the waste oil and recalibrated the dipsticks. I start with 7 quarts and now keep it near 6. I am still getting more oil out of the front breather than I am use to seeing. In my C182 I installed the AirWolf separator and was very impressed with its performance. I looked for the C337 on the AirWolf chart and could not find it. That's why I asked the group what they used. I wonder if Walt did a field approval?
Unread 11-25-13, 11:29 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
I did a quick search using separator and this thread indicates that the M20 is used on Skymasters http://www.337skymaster.com/messages...ight=seperator

STC list includes 337's http://m20turbos.hypermart.net/pdf/M...ligibility.pdf

The easiest way to calibrate your dipstick is at oil change. When you add new oil you know how much you have added so do the calibration at that point. Why mess with the old mess. I have found that my dipsticks are different. Front engine reads about right but the rear reads low so I was always adding when I didn't need to. If you have your level at 6 or below and you are still getting oil on the belly something else could be wrong.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 11-26-13, 09:04 AM

oil seperator

I do not remember doing a field approval on the Air Wolf. we did so much work at the same timeand I will try to find out.

the second 336 is completed fo two an a half years.It is beautiful.I will check on the paper work.
I used the Air Wolf seperators for 400 hours and was very satisfied. i also used their remote oil filter kits.
Unread 11-26-13, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi, Walt. Your first 336 came out beautiful. If memory serves you took it to the Bahamas and to Key West in 2005. But I didn't know (or had forgotten) that you were working on a second restoration. Please send us some pictures. I hope you and Jean are well.

Ernie Martin
Unread 12-04-13, 06:44 AM

Smile 336

I soldmine as Ed and Iwere going to share his.We did the same panel as mine,leather interior,paint plus much more, we spent 200k in restoration (Ed gave a presentation at the Fla fly in. Tragicaly he passed away. plane is complete and now mine.Thanks for remembering,I watch SOAPA daily as afavorite.
Unread 12-08-13, 09:43 PM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
oil levels

I have found that if the aircraft is not level, nose strut extended the oil level will read higher on front engine and lower on the rear.

Guy Paris....