Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 06-14-04, 12:33 PM

rick bell is an unknown quantity at this point
no airspeed, alt way off, roc really slow

took off from the house, airspeed and alt ok after 100' airspeed wentto zero, alt stuck at 200' (est 500') and stall horn going off. pulled alt static air out, air speed went to 60 and alt went to 1200' (about coreect) and roc seemed to act ok. landed at mmsf and started to look. took off the left static line found reminants of bugs. disconnected the airspeend indicator blew air into the pitot tube, air seemed to pass through, however blowing from the inside out seemed to provide more airflow (or my imagination). sucked on the airspeed indicator gently and it moved ok same with the static side and the roc and alt seemed to move ok. with all lines disconnected from instruments blew with my mounth and all seemed ok, put back togeather and started to take off several simes, no airspeed movement. remove the right side statci and cleaned that out, retaxaied, no good even with pulling out the static air with going down the runway at 60 or so (estimated). while i was in the stzates having the alt coulpling fixed the same thing happened, however the left tatic was plugged by a bug, cleaned out the left static line and condensation buld and airspeed came back, ithis may be related to revious maintenance, however it was corrected and the flight home was perfect, sat for ten day then this happened, i had taped both static and pitot holes to prevent this. any suggestion????????????????????????
Unread 06-14-04, 03:00 PM

docbob is an unknown quantity at this point
When you pass air through the disconnected lines it might help to have some one at the other end to make sure that it is going all the way To rule out a break some where in the system.
Unread 06-14-04, 04:26 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Rick,

I claim no expertise in this area, but I have been taught that blowing, even gently, into a pitot tube with the airspeed indicator still connected, has a very high probability of damaging the indicator, and possibly the altimeter and VSI.

FYI.

Kevin
Unread 06-14-04, 06:42 PM

stackj is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to stackj
Rick,

I sent you a private email regarding this issue. If it does not get to you, please email me at Jim.Stack@comcast.net. I have some information I think is very important to you.

Thanks,

Jim Stack
Unread 06-18-04, 05:17 PM

rick bell is an unknown quantity at this point
problem solved. someone added an additional static tube for easy access when doing static tests. however they used a rotten rubber hose slipped over the plastic tube then stuck a bolt into the rotten rubber hose to seal the tube, should have used a plastic end cap. the rotten hose broke off on landing and fell infront of the firewall when landing, so on the next takeoff big static leak. thank all for your imput.
rick