Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 06-14-04, 10:11 PM

Richard is an unknown quantity at this point
Considering Ceramics?

For those of you interested in ceramic coatings on your exhaust. I must warn you. I've been having a few issues that need to be addressed.

I am now flying with the oil coolers completely blocked off, and still I can not get the oil temps warm enough. Head temps are 290-350 with the oil cooler blocked off.

Took off from the desert (100 degrees), climbing from 3000 to 13500 with cowl flaps closed I was able to get the oil up to 220 on the rear engine, but as soon as I gained speed in level flight it went down to 180, then 170 for the remainder of a 5 hour flight. So..... I'm going to have to look at some different ideas to correct the problem. Apparently there is sufficient enough cooling with the case only to keep the oil temps down.

Ceramics are wonderful for keeping heat away. I guess too good.
Unread 06-15-04, 12:46 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Good input Richard, however, a caution to you that I'm sure others will point out. Cessna specifically says do not climb with cowl flaps closed, because it will lead to uneven engine cooling. You run the risk of damaging a cylinder. I'm sure you are watching it with your JPI, however, it can be localized to the barrel, not the head, leading to damage and an earlier overhaul.