Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Parts For Sale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-02-20, 07:29 PM

etv100Fly is on a distinguished road
Looking for a set of props F&R 68 337

Hello SOAPA, looking for Front and Rear serviceable or overhauled props for my 1968 T337C Front: D2AF34C59-JPM, Rear: D2AF34C61-NO. Anyone have or know who has a set. Mine did not pass inspection for overhaul. Thanks Earl
Unread 05-02-20, 09:49 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Just a FYI based on this post, be very careful when you send your props in for overhaul. If you request overhaul the shop has to go by specs required for these blades and hubs. If your currently producing power and working blades are just decimals out of specs the shop is required to RED TAG the blades. Here is what I suggest that you do........

Send in the prop for REPAIR ONLY, once the shop has looked at the specs then you can decide if you want to overhaul or just repair. There is nothing that says you have to Overhaul the props (part 91). Once you know what your situation is then you can decide if you want to buy new or repair the old. Even if you decide to buy new, you still have used blades that you can sell. When they are RED TAGGED it's all over, junk. Speaking from experience.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 05-03-20, 11:17 AM

cessnadriver is on a distinguished road
Smile Looking for a set of props F&R 68 337

etv100Fly.
Hello, I purchased a set of serviceable set of prop for my 1965 C337, didn't use them because I bought another 1965 C337. Same part numbers. I have the logs for them! $5000 plus shipping. If interested contact me at bstory@pa.rr.com. 814-673-6863c
Regards, BILLS
Unread 05-03-20, 03:15 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
My recent experience with my front prop was not good. After a long search for a serviceable front prop for my 1973 C337G I simply gave up and purchased a brand new prop. Like Herb said, directing overhaul does tie the shop's hands but I have also found that asking for an IRAN (inspect and repair as necessary) and reseal is met with resistance also. My prop was sent to Aircraft Propeller in Fox Lake, IL and the service was absolutely horrible. I found that surprising as my past two experiences with that facility were positive.

It took them 70 days to tell me my front prop was junk due to corrosion. This after two reseals with them and them telling me then that the prop looked "great," "we can tell you fly it regularly and that it lives in a hangar." They kept telling me dates of completion that were never met and then would not return my emails or phone calls for updates. When I finally would get an update it was "maybe we'll get to it in January." After they red tagged it, they offered me a new prop at full list price with the added pressure of "you better buy it within two days or there will likely be price increase." My shop has stopped sending propellers to Aircraft Propeller now as several other customers were unhappy as well.

I had another shop in Tiffin, Ohio state their policy is "overhaul ONLY" on any propeller that has not been overhauled within the last 10 years. Inspect and reseal is not an option with Tiffin Aire. Their service however was outstanding on the overhaul of my prop governor.

Another vendor in KS (when I was searching for a serviceable prop) stated "you likely will not find one," and "you likely will run into shops unwilling to inspect and reseal only." In his opinion, the prop industry is extremely subjective and that companies have ZERO incentive to put their signatures on old propellers. They just say "corrosion" and now it is junk. That proved to be my experience.

When I do my rear engine next year I am trying to decide how to handle the prop differently. I do feel in my opinion my props should be opened up every 10 years to take a look but now I'm afraid. It cost me $500 to be told it was junk. My props have lived identical lives so I'm tempted to not even attempt to save my rear prop. I'm leaning towards simply saving that $500 on the rear and just buying another new prop back there.

If anyone has any suggestions and good experiences, I'd love to hear them.

Good luck in your search. Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks,

Ed
Unread 05-04-20, 06:14 PM

cessnadriver is on a distinguished road
Looking for a set of props F&R 68 337

edasmus.
I used SPS near Philly, Pa. They offered a reseal job for $400 each. I used them for my Cessna 172 prop. They even allowed me, actually my wife, to wait for a dimensional check at no charge. Although the prop was under-size and had to get them to search for a serviceable prop which they did. $2100 was about average. Anyway they tore down, and NDI'd my F and R prop found the same corrosion problems as MOST very old props. They boxed up the serviceable parts, which ended up about half a prop for each. Found a prop shop in Florida that willing to pay me $3000 for the parts. I purchased two serviceable props for my other '65 C337 but never installed because I bought my current FLYING '65 C337. Anyone looking for a good prop shop try SPS they also have a shop in Georgia.
Regards, BILLS
Unread 05-05-20, 08:44 PM
Forum Administrator

H & S Propeller

Highly Recommended, these guys are great

https://www.hspropeller.com/

Unread 05-05-20, 09:49 PM

Thank you gentleman. I'll look into these. Appreciate your suggestions.
Unread 05-13-20, 05:56 PM
Forum Administrator

Front and Rear Props for sale on Barnstormers

https://www.barnstormers.com/classif...337-Props.html

Unread 05-14-20, 08:10 AM

Interesting..., anyone looking into these?

Thanks, Ed

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: