Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 09-30-17, 10:32 PM

tomcomet is on a distinguished road
Cessna 337 Photo / Video Windows & Mods - What is out there???

So it looks like I am jumping in to my 337 reality this week. I can't wait...

Believe it or not, my main business and what finally got me flying airplanes is my drone business. My company www.droneboy.com do a lot of film and TV work as well as mapping and commercial work. At first the 337 will be a personnel transporter to increase our territory in a niche market. Eventually I hope it can be more than that. Sooner than later I hope to mount cameras and various sensors use it as a camera ship to vastly increase our product offerings. Here's hoping...

To start, I hope to at the very least be able to take my personal love of creating photos and videos aloft with me so I can share what I experience with more people. I have done a lot of this in the Cessna 172 I fly now but now I want to go further and a bit faster, with a spare engine... The 172 was good because I could go really slow and open the window for unobstructed shooting (no lens distortion). Even then it is REALLY hard to get great shots but I am working on it. Unfortunately the 337 only has that tiny little left side triangle window opening and that is not so good.

Questions:

-Is it ever possible to ever go slow enough to open the top of the clamshell right side door to shoot photos (I assume NO)?

-I have seen photos of STC'd camera "bubble style" photo windows for the second row seats ( http://www.propexpress.eu/cessna_337f_uk.html ). Who makes them? Where?? How much??? Unobstructed (no glass) camera ports are always better and I want to know what is out there.

-Are there and STC mods available to create a partial opening windows out there like I see on some of the Piper GA aircraft?

-What about other camera mounts on the 337? Strut mount? These guys make a nice one for the 172 but I can't seem to reach them ( http://eyefish.tv/production-guide/a...ts/wing-mounts ) . Any mods to baggage pod? Downward, rearward or other creative mounts? Camera mounts on some of the hidden 0-2 hard points or even where the radar pod goes (was)?

Obviously the guys at Wolfe Air have done it up ( http://wolfeair.com/aircraft/cessna/ ) but I don't have $500,000 to throw at this project (yet) and there has to be some creative (legal) middle ground with stuff that is already out there and works.

Any leads are greatly appreciated.