Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 03-05-09, 12:09 PM

ipasgas1 is on a distinguished road
Skymaster vs. Cirrus

I feel bad asking this but... I am currently in a partnership on a 337. I love the plane! However, it has come to the point that I need my own aircraft for business and pleasure. I experienced an engine failure 4 years ago in a single, landed off field, totalled the plane but my daughter and I walked away. I swore to never be in that position again, got my ME rating and joined in on the skymaster. Now I am torn between a 337 or a Cirrus, probably SR20, with the chute. My main concern is being able to afford the expense on the 337 as far as increased fuel burn and increased maintenance costs. Though the chute is not a guarantee, it is better than nothing. If I could get a 337 with a chute, I would probably do that too. The acquisition costs of a Cirrus is between 145-190K, I am looking at the 145 end. There are quite a few skymasters for a lot less but alot of them do not have the avionics upgrades of a Cirrus or have higher times on one or both engines. I guess what I am trying to decide is if I should try to find a nice 337 with the panel done and low time engines for 100-120K and spend more on fuel and maintenance or buy the more expensive plane and hopefully pay less on fuel and maintenance? I assume most, if not everyone, here would rather have the second engine than the chute? I have also been told to buy a 73 or newer 337? Is this due to the door only? Also I have seen a nice T337 for sale but have not flown a Turbo. Are they more hassle than necessary and more expensive? I live in the Midwest so don't need it but if the plane is great, should I let the Turbo deter me?
Thanks for your input and I love the site. Hopefully, I will meet many of you in Branson.
Dan