Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 09-28-09, 01:13 PM

414 is on a distinguished road
Flap control rod

New here. Anyone tried to R&R the flight control rods for the flaps? These are the long ones just behind the aft spar between the W.S. 66.00 & W.S. 162.00. 'May have to remove at least one if the recently discovered score in the tube/rod measures 10% or more. We'd really prefer not to have to disassemble the wing etc. There's no method offered in the maint. manuals, and we've called to a few Service Centers, who are also stumped. Cessna is back-logged with thier Tech. Rep.s currently. Thanks, in advance. Ed.
Unread 09-28-09, 06:59 PM
Ace of the Atmosphere

skymstr02 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had to change a couple out because some one had installed sheetmetal screws that were too long and scored the tubes.

Was able to work them out of the outboard most access holes in the lower wing skins.
Unread 09-29-09, 10:09 AM

"removed through access holes in wing skins"? There's a few more steps missing that I think we need here. I'm still stripping down the paintfinish on the control rod [1260653-1] to do a proper depth measurement, but we think from the current codition, the rod is toast. All because someone installed a sheet metal screw that was to long some time ago from the looks of it. But getting thing out will be a bear without doing anymore de-construction! Anybody else?
Unread 09-29-09, 07:15 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

I don't know how they did it, but I had the same issue. The folks doing the work were able to snake that big long tube out through one of the access holes. I wasn't present, but I know they did it.
Unread 09-30-09, 12:35 AM

Flap Control Rod Scoring

"access holes in the lower skin". Thanks, but, the rod sits behind the rear spar, in cased in false ribs, between both wing skins [boxed]. Could anyone point out just which of the remaining access panels are capable to allow this removal and a clean reinstallment for this rod, 'cause I just don't see it. W.S.162 is an aileron control channel that on the inboard half has a lightning hole. The [sandwched] outboard half is un-cut; no lightning hole, sold rivets. Both wings match this construction. I might add, this airframe is an M337. An original O-2A from '67. If this "lightning hole" existed at W.S. 162 on both halves, you probably would never had heard from me. And like skymstr02, ours was subject to the same improper use of a longer s/m screw installed in the wrong place. If I where you, I'd be now checking my panel screws very carefully for a similar costly screw-up. All of your resonses are appreciated and welcome. Thanks again in advance. Ed.