Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-05-18, 07:14 PM

dan1000 is on a distinguished road
New 1974 Pressurized Skymaster T337G Owner

Well, it took a couple of months, but April 4 2018 was the day I took possession of my new (to me) 1974 Pressurized Skymaster.

I purchased N70S from szwinger, after he replied to my want-to-buy post in January. The aircraft was in the middle of an extensive annual, so it took until now for us to be able to complete the transaction.

I am very happy with the aircraft, which on the first flight, performed a little better than book in terms of speed (when referenced to power settings and fuel flows). Of course, the aircraft was a couple hundred pounds under gross, so that helped.

At 12,500 feet, 33"MP, 2450RPM, 80pph fuel flow per engine, 2 Celsius, TAS showed as 190kts, which is right on book. At 17,500 feet, 33"MP, 2500RPM, 85pph fuel flow (book calls for 80, but temps called for 85) was 198kts, also conforming to book. Am very happy with my new airplane. The more weird that ordinary pilots think she is, the smarter I feel

Mine has a Horton STOL kit, and I feel I need to reach out for advice about the best way to land the aircraft. The nose is an awful long way up in the air when trying to stall it on at 65kts. But slowing down any more than that requires pulling up even further. Opinions appreciated.

Thanks to all who have supplied information on this board. It was all very useful as I came to my purchase decision.
Unread 04-06-18, 10:19 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Congratulations Dan, you have joined a very passionate group and blue skies for you as you transition into this exciting time in your life.

What is the primary mission for the aircraft? With the Horton STOL kit installed, initially, I would fly the airplane by the book. Book numbers will develop good habits and that's important. Forget the STOL is even on the airplane for now. Then if the mission presents the need for short/slow performance you can configure the airplane for slow flight and short field based on the book again. Then practice some maneuvers at a safe altitude and test the STOL performance. I like to configure the airplane for landing and just judge the characteristics the STOL might provide vs the book. Then you know the limits of the aircraft. For most situations you will find that the Skymaster does well by the book numbers in slow / short events. The STOL is there to provide a cushion.

If you decide you are ready to tackle some adventure we are putting together a Flying Adventure to Yellowstone Park this year in September. Great time with a bunch of pilots doing what we all love, flying and bragging about airplanes.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 04-06-18, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hharney View Post
What is the primary mission for the aircraft?
Thanks Herb. You ask about the mission:

I fly between KSNA (John Wayne airport in Southern California) and a few other places that are each 300 - 350 nm away:
Phoenix, AZ
Carson City, NV
Palo Alto, CA
Usually alone or +1, occasionally +3

I wanted to be able to do those trips in 2h or less, and land with an hour's reserves. I assumed payload of either 400lbs (me +1) or 700lbs (me +1 + 2 teens). I prefer pressurization, and turbocharging is a must, since my trips are most often over the rockies, where putting several thousand feet of altitude between the mountains and the aircraft helps significantly with turbulence.

I looked at Mooneys and Malibus and various 210's, and many of them would do the job. Then I remembered the comfort of having the extra engine. My last airplane was a Cessna 414, which was a wonderful - if somewhat demanding - platform. But that was way back then when I flew more regularly than I do now. Most twins are very demanding, and significant recurrent training is required to maintain proficiency. The Pressurized Skymaster seemed to give me the performance I wanted while providing the extra safety of the second engine, without the drawbacks of asymmetric thrust twins.

But ... oh, the old wives' tales about this aircraft! Wading through each of those, trying to find the truth of the matter, that took some doing. But having done that, I'm very glad to have ended up with my P337 platform, and look forward to all the living and learning she will provide.

Dan

Last edited by kilr4d : 04-06-18 at 12:38 PM.
Unread 04-06-18, 12:39 PM

kilr4d is on a distinguished road
Dan, hope you don't mind I grabbed a pic off the internet. That's a REALLY incredible looking Skymaster.

Congrats again.

Edit: BTW...that ship used to be owned by Ken Reed and by all accounts he was METICULOUS with maintenance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	N70S.JPG
Views:	851
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	1845  
CNC3

Last edited by kilr4d : 04-06-18 at 12:44 PM.
Unread 04-06-18, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilr4d View Post
Dan, hope you don't mind I grabbed a pic off the internet. That's a REALLY incredible looking Skymaster.

Congrats again.

Edit: BTW...that ship used to be owned by Ken Reed and by all accounts he was METICULOUS with maintenance.
Thanks

BTW, I posted photos in another thread, and the site won't let me repost them in this thread. The thumbnails look upside down for some reason, but if you click on the photos, they are the right way up (at least, for me).

Dan
Unread 04-07-18, 02:39 PM

Red Air Rambo is on a distinguished road
Welcome Dan and great looking aircraft! I don't know if yours has the speedbrake mod but landing with them open and the power up helps to lower the angle and dissipate the float...just remember to close them if you go around.

Brent
Unread 04-08-18, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Air Rambo View Post
I don't know if yours has the speedbrake mod but landing with them open and the power up helps to lower the angle and dissipate the float...just remember to close them if you go around.
N70S does not have speed brakes, but thanks for the tip! -- Dan
Unread 04-09-18, 01:49 PM

general is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to Skymaster ownership. I was very fortunate to own an aircraft which was built just a few numbers ahead of yours N63S. I've had several skymasters with STOL kits. You won't even know the kit is on the airplane unless you get below the power curve on landing and you'll see how incredible of an advantage they can be. Normally just fly it by the numbers. Practice slow flight and stalls and you'll see how the S T O L kit performs. Most of the time the stall warning is set up as a standard stall speed for a non converted aircraft. You will notice that the aircraft will not go into a full stall probably 10 mph or more after the warning goes off. Practicing slow flight will give you confidence. Realizing that most of your flying you do will just be by the Normal book Numbers but should you need to get in a short field you will have some idea on how it performs. Another thing that's routinely done on take off is to add some flaps through the take-off run and you'll see how fast the airplane will want to take to the air. Don't do anything radical until you have some instruction with someone who is proficient with S T O L operations.
You're going to have fun with that aircraft congratulations

Last edited by general : 04-09-18 at 01:51 PM.
Unread 04-09-18, 03:37 PM

Thanks, General. I will give it a try by the POH original numbers, and see how that goes. I had assumed it would float forever at original numbers, but we'll see

Dan
Unread 04-09-18, 04:10 PM

general is an unknown quantity at this point
No you're not going to see much float at all , as soon as you get on the ground and dump the flaps it won't fly. As long as you're not giving it power. You'll have much more control coming in on Final however it will feel like you have more Authority with the STOL kit. You can do some touch-and-goes it will want to take off early and you got to keep the stick forward, but if you rotated standard speed your rate of climb will feel much greater initially.
Have fun.and be safe.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: