Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 01-06-12, 07:13 AM

billsheila is an unknown quantity at this point
Ernie;
I agree with your point, however in my case I fly "Angel Flights" and a detailed W&B is required to be done and sent in to the organization for every mission. I am trying to automate this a bit and use my iPad to simply email them the documents.
Bill
Unread 01-06-12, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
I see your point, Bill. And, Jeff, by w&b I really mean the full weight by station calculation. On the weight alone, I do that on every flight (it's in my head: 1664 lbs minus the fuel weight minus a personal margin of 100 lbs; since virtually all my flights are to the Bahamas carrying 80 gal of fuel, that leaves ~ 1080 lbs for passengers and cargo).

Ernie
Unread 01-07-12, 10:25 PM

sns3guppy is on a distinguished road
Because you're using the same aircraft stations every time, it's an easy calculation that you can do on Excell or any other application that can add or subtract.

You can also get commercial software such as http://eflite.com/software/aircraft_...lators_std.php

www.fltplan.com has a weight and balance feature, but you have to build the profile. A lot of aircraft are in there already, but not the Skymaster. Be the first to build one yourself, and then it's there for everyone to use or modify for their own use.

I actually prefer the American Aeronautics plotters, and have used them on numerous light aircraft, a lot of medium turboprops and turbojets, and some faster, bigger equipment, too. They work great. I've used them under Part 135 a lot, and the FAA likes them. They're easy to use quickly, to use for multiple legs in the ame airplane with differing fuel or passenger loads, and if you order their duplicating forms, you'll get two copies with each weight and balance; one to leave behind or forward to your agency, and another to keep as a permanent record. Very handy. They come in aluminum and fit neatly in a flight "can" or your flight bag, and last forever. You can have them custom made for your aircraft, or accept a standard one for your make and model.

http://flyincg.com

They sell the ifly software, or the American Aeronautics plotters.

The nice thing with the vector graph and plotter method is that you can clearly see from the graph where your CG lies, where it will go with fuel burn, if you're in CG with your empty weight, zero fuel weight, loaded weight, and as you add each items, and it's very easy to see what you need to do to the load to bring it in CG or keep it there; you can plan out the entire trip that way and see exactly what fuel burn, or taking on or deplaning passengers or cargo will do to your load, where to put it to make the CG work out, etc, immediately and visually.

If you don't want a permanent record, you can get the laminated graph and draw on it with a grease pencil, too. Very economical. I recommend keeping a record of your CG for each flight, but it's up to you.

Last edited by sns3guppy : 01-07-12 at 10:31 PM.
Unread 11-06-12, 08:00 PM

hew is on a distinguished road
W&B on iPad

All you need is "Numbers" on your iPad. I have a customisable spreadsheet I can send anyone who wants it. You can email from your iPad or take a screen shot and email that to keep your minders informed.
Unread 11-07-12, 07:10 AM

JimC is on a distinguished road
I like this one for $4.99:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wnb-...408836204?mt=8

because it allows for some pre-set weights at certain stations. For example, I don't have to remember how much my rear seats weigh - I can just move the "rear seats" slider to the right when they're installed, and to the left when they're not. I also carry some odd but specific cargo occasionally and it lets me add or subtract it with a finger swipe, and I don't have to remember how much it weighs or its station.

I use it to send emails of W&B for PALS (similar to Angel Flight) preflight.
Unread 11-26-12, 01:38 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Weight and Balance Pro is really easy to use. It makes it so there is no excuse in knowing your W/B. Not sure if it is on Android or not but for the Apple products it's sweet.

Photos
1. Cover
2. Work Page for Skymaster
3. Envelope and gross
4. Building the stations
5. Building the envelope
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.PNG
Views:	828
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	1429   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.PNG
Views:	813
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1430   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo3.PNG
Views:	805
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1431   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo4.PNG
Views:	790
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	1432   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo5.PNG
Views:	805
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	1433  

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 11-26-12, 02:25 PM

JimC is on a distinguished road
One simple trick I use (which can be used on any app) is to make myself a permanent part of the solution. For instance, on W&B Pro (that's the one I linked to above) I can enter my weight & station and make it a "hidden" field that doesn't need to be updated each time. I just use the slider for the copilot's weight. After all, if I'm computing a W&B I know exactly who's in the front left seat.

Sure, I vary by 5-10 lbs seasonally but it's close enough.
Unread 11-26-12, 06:32 PM

hew is on a distinguished road
Numbers Spreadsheet

Here is a screen shot of the spreadsheet I use. The neat thing here is it's all on one iPad screen plus it has a quick fuel calculation at the bottom as one is often juggling load vs distance / fuel. You can email this page or take a "snapshot" of the page for future reference. (Press 'home' button and on/off button simultaneously to take a snapshot on an iPad). This spreadsheet is in kg lit & knots for Australia. I have a version in lbs & gal only for USA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C337E Load Sheet.jpg
Views:	870
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	1434