Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 01-12-18, 11:27 PM

cessnadriver is on a distinguished road
Smile Prospective Buyer Questions

To all. I'm an A&P and have a 1965 Skymaster. I have about 700 hours Cessna singles/helicopters. I'm NOT rated in the Centerline Thrust Skymaster but am working on it, it's difficult to find MEIs that have Skymaster time. I've flown a Skymaster that I did an annual on for about two and flew mine about an hour before buying it. Except for the extra engine it flys pretty much like a C182-heavy yoke. I have liability insurance on my bird, with a 20 hour dual in C337 to include 10 hours instrument training requirements. It's about $1300 a year NO HULL.Some other questions-ASKED- the older c337 have seat rails for the 5th and 6th seats, the seats are normal size except the seat legs are only about 3 inches high. The seats are comfortable but I'm 5'2". As a safety item most older Skymaster have baggage doors and a person can exit through it in an emergency. Maintenance since I'm an A&P and with a $300 sign off from an IA my annuals are cheap. Speaking of maintenance for the 50 PLUS year old Skymaster-here are a couple examples. 1) While doing the annual I open the gear doors, using the emergency hand pump, to inspect in the wheel wells-NO PROBLEM. After the inspection I used the hand pump to close the gear doors-PROBLEM it took me about two weeks, after talking with other mechanics and this forum, it was a loose connection on the hydraulic solenoid! 2) Just recently I was doing some spark plug lead testing, I connected the lead tester to the hot side of the battery contactor, I didn't what to remove the battery cover, the tester some how cause the electrical BUS to remain on even with the master switch was OFF. Again with the help of others and about 2-3 weeks, of chasing wires, I found that two diodes in battery/alternator circuits where bad. These are fairly simple problems but took way too long to correct! I hope my information is helpful.
Regards-BILLS

Last edited by cessnadriver : 01-12-18 at 11:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: